Advantages of Rasberry Pi3 vs Windows10 mini PC for Roon Bridge endpoints?

If you are using a Chord DAC it is pointless to up sample to DSD.
You should up sample to PCM instead because Chord DAC’s is created to make PCM sound best by design.
If I am not mistaken the DSD will be converted back to PCM inside the DAC.

Yep - I learned that from this site regarding Chord DACs.
Qutest is on the way - right now I am listening to native DSD128 through a Topping D50 in the study (it’s a pretty impressive DAC for the price)
The Qutest is going in the listening room and I’ll be feeding it source material without any DSP/upsampling.

I upgraded my powerline network and got a speed jump from 40mbps to 160mbps.
DSD512 now works :slight_smile:
The windows machine running bridge seems fine. At least for now.

Odd…I’ve had no problems streaming DSD512 and 32-bit, 768 kHz PCM via a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+…over Wi-Fi even. DAC is iFi micro iDSD.

Depends on the DAC. Some will work, some not with linux (and derivatives).

I did a complete 180 on DSD and stopped worrying about Windows or Linux compatibility for DSD512.
I got a Qutest and didn’t like it. Tried an x-sabre pro. Didn’t like it. I had been 3 years looking for a DAC and boxed myself in a bit with high reolution requirements.
Ended up auditioning a Schiit Gungnir MB and bought it the next day. Beats everything else I have listened to and was the first DAC that really stood out to me - for my ears only of course. So the long road to my DAC purchase is over.

That little box on the bottom shelf is a horrible W10 mini pc - it’s going.
Now I am freed from DSD-itis there are so many more opportunities for endpoints. Metrum Ambre, Moon Neo Mind 2, Bryston…or just a pi.

EDIT - bought the Metrum Ambre. Windows 10 endpoint p*ssed me off one to many times, dropping as part of the update process which can’t work because the mini pc has only a 32Gb drive and update does not have enough space. Moral of the story, cheap W10 endpoints utterly suck.

I like Win10 for all kinds of work, I use it as my main computer. I have three Raspberry pi 3’s with HiFi Berry hats (Raspbian Jessie Lite), and they are awesome. They are on 24-7 (use so little power and generate so little heat I don’t worry about them) and probably the most reliable components in my system. Great sound quality. They are more reliable than the Squeezeboxes they replaced. Roon automatically updates them regularly, I don’t have to think about it. If the power goes out, or if they occasionally drop off the network (for whatever reason) just power cycling them fixes the problem. They come right back up in 10 sec. or so. I’m using one of the read-only linux images so there isn’t a problem with file corruption from power cycling. I’d never get this type of reliablity with a windows machine.

2 Likes

HifiBerry stuff is awesome and just works, for the price cannot be beaten. I have two on 24/7 need no maintenance whatsoever.

1 Like

I too run many rpi endpoints with ropieee and other than power outages seldom get rebooted, unless I’m aware of a release update that might add something I’m needing. All are lan connected and are mostly the older 3b units that I can push happily at dsd512 all day for those with Dacs that support it. Dietpi is used where I need a little more option like Spotify or airplay to keep swmbo happy.