Allowing only one post per day in MQA topic

Perhaps I can sell my ONE to the highest bidder , I am unlikely to use it :smiling_imp:

1 Like

too late…you just did… :rofl:

My perception is that the limit on the thread is working well. The number of flags has substantially reduced and Mods are no longer trying to hit a moving target. The alternative to slowing the thread was closing it. We’ve found that people will start flogging their MQA dead horses in some other thread if they don’t have an outlet, so we prefer to keep it localised.

This slowing of the thread is very deliberately not a natural conversation. Allowing people to repeatedly respond to each other in real time has not worked.

Before posting in the thread people should ask themselves whether they are actually saying something interesting which has not been said before and usefully adds to the debate. My view is that very few posts have met that test in the last three years.

6 Likes

We’ve reduced the time between posts to 4 hours to see if that is enough to avoid people posting with a rush of blood to the head.

3 Likes

Mods have closed the subject thread. Following the relaxation of the time limit multiple flags were raised on nearly all subsequent posts. All the flags were right.

The thread has degenerated into off topic restatements of prior entrenched positions, otherwise known as axe grinding.

@moderators, may one ask how this post was abusive, and in which way you intend to discourage abuse of the flagging system ?

8 Likes

Abusive is not the sole criterion for moderation. In this case the flag was agreed because the post was off-topic (not about a comparison of MQA and PCM), provocative as it was directed towards people who listen to MQA, and did not contribute to the discussion but merely continued rehearsing a point of view that has been expressed multiple times in the past.

Flags do not automatically hide posts unless the flagger has a high trust level (the System compares total flags, agreed flags and rejected flags to generate this). If multiple users flag a post it may be hidden before review. When a Mod reviews the post they can choose to hide or keep hidden or keep the post and edit it.

Agreed flags are not an abuse of the flagging system, almost by definition.

Where a user generates disproportionate rejected flags we have contacted them and suggest they cut down their frequency of flagging and only flag clear cases as they are not seeing things like the Mods do. That has been successful in cutting down rejected flags.

2 Likes

Well now, that’s going to be interesting moving forward.

4 Likes

Tbh this MQA debate becomes a bit repetitive and it seems very unlikely tribe con will win over tribe pro or vice versa.

In Germany we use a nice quote by Karl Valentin, meaning ‘Everything has already been said, but not yet by everybody.’

15 Likes

Thanks for the explanation !!!

MQA threads are sort of like Roon Radio. After 10 or 12 posts/tracks, things get increasingly repetitive.

11 Likes

I love reading the sarcastic, abusive , intelligent,funny,insane crazy MQA posts.

I think Roon has a very thin skin,too thin for my tastes.

I really enjoy 'the blood in the water" posts and arguments.

6 Likes

You need to visit Audiogon forums for some good old fashioned fisticuffs and flame wars

4 Likes

Exactly why I told them bye bye.

3 Likes

I left a while back too.
But for those who feel the need for some bloodletting it might appeal.

1 Like

Noop. I think is a strategy for mitigate to the community…

No worries.

Roon have recently revised the Forum Guidelines and they should be read by anyone with an interest in the Forum. Mods have spoken occasionally in threads or PMs about recent discussions with Admins and the revised guidelines set out Admin intentions about the Forum in some detail.

The section about flagging recognises the capacity for flagging to cloak bad behaviour, specifically griefing others or inappropriately flagging in response to moderation.

The revised guidelines are significantly broader and probably deserve some further publication so users aren’t surprised. (Edit: They are now linked in a banner that appears until closed).

Feedback about the revised guidelines and their implementation is welcome in this category of the Forum.

2 Likes

Well, the new guidelines should include: No cable, MQA, or linear PSU discussions - no exceptions! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Or posts of more than 10 lines for the easily distracted…

3 Likes

No burn-in, no directional cables. And no science, of course. Just to keep the balance. Peaceful Sunday! :peace_symbol:

3 Likes