Amazon makes 100MM song catalog free to all prime users

No, it’s enabled for Amazon.de prime customers, and probably many more.

1 Like

Available in the UK. I think it’s available in all territories that has Prime.

I thought I would have a look at this as a Prime subscriber. I entered my music preferences which were all classical composers. I was then presented with two playlists of random classical music, with a sprinkling of “classical-pop fusion” and another dozen or so playlists of pop music!

I will be sticking with Qobuz.

I suspect that most Roon subscribers a serious music listeners - whatever their preferred genre or musical tastes. We pay our subscription to Roon to get the metadata and the musical connections with other artists etc.

The problem with so many of the music streaming services is that their target audience is really not the serious music listener. Their focus is very much on a mass market audience. This is not a criticism, just a reflection that their model does not necessarily correspond with what many of Roon subscribers would want.

1 Like

It’s no upgrade. It’s a major downgrade. The touted access to 100 million songs constitutes corporate propaganda. Those unsubscribed to the premium tier have lost all control and choice over what specific songs (and specific albums) they would like to play. Nor can they play an entire album from start to finish, beginning with the first track. Instead, the entire music catalogue for non-premium subscribers remains on shuffle play.

Let’s say you had an AutoRip copy of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon,” which Amazon provided when you purchased the vinyl or CD of the album. Now you only have the choice of selecting the album (cover) and pressing play. Yet the album no longer starts with the opening track. It might start with the third or fourth track, then shuffle a couple of other songs, and then the fourth track will no longer be a song from “Dark Side of the Moon” at all. It will be a song from an entirely different, albeit similar, artist!

The change is an overt attempt by Amazon to drive users to subscribe to their premium music service.

2 Likes

I got bored with first 2 million songs, so this will be great. If I make it another 10 years I can listen to 9.8 million new tunes a year without repeating anything?

The dealbreaker for me is it’s only mp3 quality.

1 Like