Analog/Digital versions of the same recording; Locate them and listening reports

I thought that my original post below might be better placed in a thread about locating and comparing analog and digital versions of the same recordings. Anyone who is looking for or has two versions of the same recording on analog and digital media is welcome to post. Let us know what you are looking for or what you hear when you compare the two recordings.

It’s a funny thing, audio fidelity. The other week my cousin was visiting and he’s interested in music, less so in audio. During one late night session he asked to listen to the reel to reel tape deck (pretty sure he asked) and I put on a tape of Rhapsody in Blue (Stanley Black and the London Festival Orchestra). Well he sat up when the piano entered and said “That’s a piano”. And he was right, it sounded more like an actual piano than other recordings through the digital system. Even through the audible noise floor of analog. I don’t know if it was the recording gear or what, but it’s still the most piano sounding piano in my system.

2 Likes

Do you have that particular recording in digital as well?

Not being a piano expert by any means, I do fancy myself a bit of an expert in acoustic guitar having played them live for years. I often hear comments about a DAC getting the acoustic guitar right. I then think to myself what right is? Brands sound drastically different, heck 2 particular Martin HD28Vs can sound different, never mind where they are played relative to the bridge, the pick used, the attack, how they are miced etc etc. You really have had to been in the room when it was recorded to know what is right.

I assume the piano is a little more consistent in live performances? I don’t think I’ve ever attended a concert where an actual piano was played acoustically or miced. Which I now realize is rather sad.

1 Like

I think I may have found it on Tidal. Similar cover, same recording Co (Phase 4). Unfortunately there’s no performance date on the tape box, and also no mention of Robert Farnon.

Tidal says performance was 1965, which would be a possible date for the tape.

https://i.imgur.com/ESeZQwF.png

I’ll try A/B (volume won’t be matched) and see what I hear later this week. I’ll try with both xtr and minringFIR.

2 Likes

Thanks Tony, that’s it.

Hopefully this won’t turn into a Vinyl vs Digital thread.

In your case of the piano sounding more true on your reel to reel brings up the question, where did it get lost in translation? A/D conversion or the D/A playback.

Unfortunately I can’t find that version in either Tidal or Roon. It might be geoblocked in Australia.

I used the search string “gershwin rhapsody stanley black”, and it came up first in the list here in the Netherlands…

Just the Robert Farnon version here:

Seems very odd that a recording of this vintage should have some geographic rights issue. Can you shed any light on it @joel ?

Andy, the album is available in Australia. It is actually unavailable in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico…

Using Roon with an empty library and an Australian TIDAL account, it’s the first album in the search results with that search string.

I got it on Tidal, in the U.S. — I think this is the one you mention, Farnon is there…
https://i.imgur.com/35zCto2.png

But of course I don’t have the tape, or a reel to reel anymore…

We might be talking at cross purposes. The Stanley Black album I’m looking for is the one in Tony’s post above:

The version with Robert Farnon is the only one that comes up for me.

To clarify, the Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue (with the piano) was originally released with American in Paris on Decca PFS4109, in 1966. The Porgy and Bess Suite was on Decca PFS4109, released a year later. Stanley Black conducted the first album and also played the piano in the Rhapsody. Robert Farnon did the arrangement and conducted the second album. Looks like the digital version on Tidal combines both albums. The London Festival Orchestra was most probably the London Symphony Orchestra which didn’t like to be associated with what they considered “pop” music.

So Robert Farnon has nothing to do with the Rhapsody in Blue/American in Paris album. I am guessing that both digital versions, the one with, and the one without Farnon, should be identical, since there was only one Rhapsody in Blue. They only issue might be if there were two different digital masterings of the original analogue tape. The cover of my vinyl looks just like the Tidal cover.

Both albums were recorded in Kingsway Hall, one of Decca’s favorite recording venues, known for its excellent acoustics. Both albums were engineered by the great Decca engineer Art Lilley, whom many, including his colleagues at Decca, regarded as the equal to the great Kenneth “Wilkie” Wilkinson. Both started at Decca at the same time, in 1938, with Lilley more involved in the “pop” side of the house, while Wilkie did classical.

I have both albums on vinyl and the Farnon, but not the Black, on R2R tape. Unfortunately, I don’t subscribe to Tidal.

Larry

2 Likes

Locate them and listening reports.

Analogue version.
Locating them - where can I find it after my wife “tidied up” by putting it randomly back in the LP racks.
Listening report - probably a bit care worn and scratchy as I can’t be trusted with nice things. Shitty old record decks of the past, dropping the LP, spilling Tea/coffee/beer on the LP. Lending said LP to friends.
Which is the good copy of my favourite LP? (I bought three of this LP as I can’t be trusted with nice things) hmm that cover needs a bit of TLC.

Digital version.
Yep there it is.
Yep sounds good.