Annual vs lifetime (tough decision)

I wish it was that magical, @Stopeter44 :sweat_smile: . I wish Hogwarts was a requirement :magic_wand:

4 Likes

I’m now in my 4th year of lifetime. Happy with the decision I made. Going to be different for everyone.

I stream and have local files, I don’t get the concerns about having to have a connection. Most software these days functions better when connected.

Maybe it’s because I stream and maybe it’s because my internet connection is actually pretty good. I normally only lose Internet if we have power out. And I appreciate that everything happens in the cloud now and that Roon are doing this to make the product better for most people. I work remotely, I depend on the cloud.

I still have a bunch of CD’s I can play if it’s just internet being out and I have my phone to stream Qobuz into a Mojo 2 in the case that the power is out as well.

In the event of the apocalypse, well, we probably have bigger problems than not being able to listen to music.

For the few days per year it may be an issue, have a backup. Musicbee, LMS and iTunes are free, just not quite as nice. Normally I’m more worried about my fish tank being out of power than not being able to listen to my stereo. And yes, I have a battery powered air pump for that eventuality.

5 Likes

I just wanted to know the advantage of having a lifetime subscription vs annually?

in 4 yers and few months you will end up not paying for roon

if you can pull the cash do it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But what is the benefit? I hope not but things could change and went out of business. I hope not.

This thread already has quite a lot of discussion on this:

Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

2 Likes

It’s always a gamble. But I’ve went lifetime recently.

4 Likes

It took me 2 years to find out that will marry ROON for live :wink:

1 Like

The potential benefit of lifetime vs annual is to protect yourself against possible future price increases and to limit your Roon payments to $700 verses something higher if you stick around more than 4.7 years.

The risks are obvious.

5 Likes

thanks. It is difficult to choose

I am using Roon on annual subscription for 4 years, and I didn,t think about lifetime on previous because I am old …but I am still alive. Even I head heart attack in meantime. So it is diferent point of view if you are 30 or 70 years old. Roon doesn,t recognize difference unfortunately

As macabre as it sounds, if you’re planning to enjoy life (and Roon) for the next 5+ years, a lifetime subscription makes sense - if only because you can then stop worrying about it :wink:

2 Likes

I just bit the bullet on lifetime. I’ll be 62 next April. I fully expect to stick around another 4.6 years to the break-even point. If I don’t, I figure the $700 is the least of my worries.

11 Likes

It begs the question who is the oldest lifetime member, if anyone in their 80s has took a life sub all power to them. I’m guessing there must be a lot of 80+ audiophiles with better hearing than I have and I’m 57.

I am 75 years old. I didn’t buy lifetime, I bought two lifetime subscriptions. “Be not afraid,” but be prudent.

4 Likes

I’m 45. But even if I were 75 I would have taken the lifetime. Sure statistically wise I would have a larger chance of not living long enough to get through the lifetime… ehm… time. But sometimes you just have to go for it.

Lifer as of today. 67 in February and pretty healthy considering all the abuse I’ve done to myself over the years.

3 Likes

I always find it interesting to hear people considering their own mortality (and actuarial tables) to try to calculate whether it’s financially wise to purchase a lifetime subscription.

If you buy lifetime today, and you die tomorrow, does it matter?

8 Likes

Could have gotten some blow instead

1 Like

But who was the youngest lifetime subscriber (when they hit buy, because none of us is getting any younger)… I was 47 when I signed up…