Antipodes K50 or K40

Martin
I have only used the K50 and no other Antipodes product. I to like having one component without sacrificing the quality of the sound. I would be interested in hearing the results of the K30.
Mark

Just out of interest Mark have you looked into products such as the Innuos PhoenixNET or USB? Lots of very positive customers along with the Network Acoustics ENO.
I’m trialling the K50 in July, May do the same for the K30 depends on a few factors.

Martin
I just purchased the Network Acoustics Muon filer it replaced the ENO ag to the K50. I thought the Muon presented a more relaxed and effortless sound, there was a bit more life. I use an active ethernet filter also, the EdisCreation Fiber box II into the EdisCreation switch to the Muon filer. I use Sablon Audio Ethernet 2020 cabling. Before the K50 and EdisCreation I used a Roon Nucleus and EtherRegen switch with Transparent Audio ethernet cabling. The later set up is far superior.
With the new Oladra and K30 being discontinued It may be a good time to pick up a K50. I prefer the AES/EBU output to my Dac so I am using the clock in the K50. If you do not plan to use the K50 clock and connect via USB than the K30 may make sense.
Mark

Hi Mark,
Just found out about the K30 being discontinued from Mark at Antipodes who was saying the Oladra is incredible which I’m sure it is, however only recently invested in a Gryphon amp which is really something. Spoke to Russell at Network Acoustics a few months ago who mentioned the Muon which he said has completely new technology in compared to the ENO which has amazing results.
I’m sure my network would benefit from fibre as you mentioned, I have a clever module on my MSB DAC called a Pro ISL which goes from usb into fibre therefore isolating from RFI & EMI which works really well along with Entreq USB not widely known here in the UK .
Good point on the K50 clock engine which is a pain as my DAC has the PRO ISL however also AES/EBU which I used with the Aqua LinQ which offered incredible results.
I have been offered amazing deals on both K30 & K50 so it’s going to be very interesting how they compare to the Aqua which also offered a very organic natural sound which like yourself is what I’m looking for.
Appreciate your advise -always great chatting to a fellow Audiophile.

1 Like

Hi guys Im just contemplating a K50 and was wondering if it would be possible to use Roon with HQplayer to upsample into DSD256 which is then passed to the DAC (Have a DAVE). Would the K50 be able to handle this processing without any issues? Is there anyone that does it already? Many thanks in advance.

Depends on the filters you want to use. DSD256 with the “famous” poly-sinc-gauss-hires series combined with ASDM7ECv2 does not run gapless on a MacMini M1 core, but on a MacStudio M1max core. Which is a much better cpu than the Core i7 inside the K50.

I tried with K40 but finally did not get it work with NAA input and NAA output at the same time. But I think DSD256 is not possible with all filters on K40 or K50.

Since you have the Pro USB, have you tried the USB ouput from an Antipodes K50 or K30? Ideally you would only need the new K21 only for USB output. Or K21 plus K40 if you need extra high power processing. The K50 or Oladra would of course be the best, but they are expensive! And maybe the improvement in sound quality may not be very significant with the Pro ISL-USB interface.

Hi Desmond- As I require both server and player I’m only considering the K30 or K50 for my setup, plus 1 box solution is really appealing. The Aqua LinQ with my current Zenith MK3 sounded incredible, from what I’ve read on here and elsewhere the Antipodes offer organic natural sound which is exactly what I’m looking for in a server.

Hi Martin,
I am currently using a NUC11 based Roon server/player for USB output to the Pro ISL input on my MSB Reference DAC. I am considering the Antipodes K50 or K21 for their USB output. The K50 will be a much more power server and player compared to the K21 which can also be used as a server and player if we don’t need much processing power or have a very large library of albums. I think my main aim is to be able to use the Roon server apps with the Squeezelite player apps. Many audiophiles reported that the Squeezelite player apps is better than the Roon RAAT player apps.
I will try to do a home trail of the K50’s and K21’s USB output to the Pro USB-ISL interface to see how much improvement can be achieved compare to the NUC11 Roon server.

Hi Desmond, from what I’ve read the Roon requires a lot of power to run because of all its features which is one of the reasons my Innuos has their Sense App which sounds far better than using Roon through it due to lack of power. The Aqua LinQ with Innuos sounded incredible with their Roon module however requires a separate server to run.
The Antipodes seem to offer the best of both Worlds although the dealer who sold my MSB DAC raves about the Pink Faun servers, a new one is due out in around 3-4 months which is apparently going to be stunning also. Just out of interest did you buy your Reference first or try the other MSB DAC’s , I love the organic natural sound they offer.
The Squeezelite option you mention on servers seems to be a popular choice over roon, I just love the added features especially Roon radio and recommendations .

Hi Martin,
I first had a home trial of the MSB Discrete DAC, and bought the Premier DAC. I used the Premier DAC for a few months before upgrading to the Reference DAC without trialing it. What MSB DAC do you have now?
You are totally correct that the Antipodes servers provide an very simple and elegant solution with the multiple choices and combinations of server apps and player apps, all in one box. But I guess we are paying alot for all the built-in softwares options for the server and player.
Your Innous Zenith has the Squeezelite option for using Roon server. Have you made a comparison using the Squeezelite vs Roon RAAT player software?
The Antipodes K50 or K30 would be a great choice even though the K30 has been discontinued. But if you are going for the K50, maybe you can wait for the Oladra which will be the latest and greatest? The Oladra is using a purely SMPS instead of the hybrid LPS and SMPS used in the K series.

I demoed the DCS Bartok first which sounded great but not natural in my set up, then the Mola Mola Tambaqui & MSD Descrete which was simply better in every aspect being both natural and organic.
I’ve just recently been using the Zenith in experimental mode using Squeezelite with Roon & much closer to the Innuos Sense App which has the edge in terms of transparency.
I did email Mark at Antipodes who also said the Oladra is the one to go for also funds allowing, however the business I’m in here has been hit by both COVID & the current war so not possible at the moment.
I have the K50 on trial next month which should be very interesting having been seriously impressed with the Aqua LinQ which for the money is a steal in my opinion.
Audio -The never ending expensive hobby for crazy people like us albeit a great journey that’s for sure.

I assume you are not in the UK as Elite Audio had one of the first Oladra in the Country which they were due to demo recently on a special opening day along with Audio Physics etc, I need to give them a call to hear what their thoughts are as the K50 is apparently incredible.
Reviews are due out here in the UK shortly.
What cables are you using just out of interest? USB RCA etc

I am not in UK. My local distributor in Malaysia will be getting in an Oladra soon for demo. The distributor now has the K50 and K22 for home demo, but i have not trial it yet. Would be interesting to compare the sound quality and differences of the USB output from the Antipodes servers with the NUC11 Roon server! If the improvement is not significant, i am not ready to put in my money! We have to call it quit at some point in time!

Hi Desmond,
Spoke to Elite who have an Oladra in stock- their thoughts were the difference between that and the K50 were minimal albeit I’m sure this is system dependant and room acoustics playing a big part also like everything Hi Fi.
Do you have the Antipodes trial organised yet, I’m hoping for next 3 weeks.

Hi Martin,
I have not arranged a home trial for the Antipodes yet, but probably by next month. The improvement from the Antipodes server over my NUC Roon server has to be significant before i want to spend the money on it though.
I am using a Jorma Ethernet cable direct from the modem/router provided by the internet home broadband provider to the NUC. A Jorma USB Reference cable from the NUC to the MSB Pro USB-ISL modules on the Reference DAC. Then Jorma Statement XLR interconnects to a Vitus SIA-030. Jorma Statement speaker cables to Marten Mingus Quintet MK II.
May i know what is your system setup?
Desmond

Hi Desmond, ironically my MSB dealer is a massive fan of the Marten speakers as they have the Jorma cables inside, I heard the Parker trio & Diamond Duo, ended up with a pair of the new Avalon PM1’s which I love. Added Jorma Unity XLR & speaker cables which are truly special. More recently moved over to a Gryphon Diablo300 amp, USB is Entreq Apollo although would prefer the Jorma so everything is the same. One of the surprising add ins was the incredible Puritan 136 power conditioner which for the money is amazing for cleaning up the noise etc.
Would love to move up to the MSB Premier when funds allow but new server is my next upgrade having heard what the Aqua LinQ offered over the Zenith, going to be very interesting to hear how the Antipodes compares. So much is synergy and room acoustics etc. Did you build your NUC or go for a ready made option, most dealers I know don’t rate the Roon Nucleus at all which is surprising to me although a lot of people add a decent PSU for better sound quality which makes sense to me.

Martin
I had a Roon Nucleus and Keyes P8 LPS before my K50. I was using the LAN connection to my Dac. The K50 was a huge improvement. I am using Jorma AES/EBU cables between the Dac and K50. My old Dac had network inputs and in comparing the network or USB inputs to the digital inputs (SPDIF and AES/EBU) the digital inputs were clearly superior. I used Jorma cables which helped but I believe it was primarily do to the re-clocking in the K50. MSB in all their models have excellent clocks so you may have a different result. You can run concurrent outputs from the K50 to your MSB and see which you prefer. Antipodes claims it affects the sound running multiple outputs but as long as it is to the same Dac I did not think it made any difference.
Mark

Just out of interest Mark did you try any other servers before buying the K50? I’m also a massive fan of the Jorma along with MSB as being really special, Mark at Antipodes also suggested the AES/EBU over the USB connection as it can be Reclocker by the K50 for even better sound quality.
The Oladra technology has been heavenly implemented into the K50 from what I’ve read ,it’s responsible for the natural organic sound which we all crave.

Martin
No I did not demo other servers so my basis for comparison is only to the Roon Nucleus.
Mark