Any plans for convolution and parametric EQ? [Released in Roon v1.3]

Q: What software do you use to create filters?
Acourate and DRC-FIR.

Q: What software do you use to apply filters?
BruteFIR and AcourateConvolver.

Q: What do you use the filters for (e.g. room correction, headphones, digital xo, …)?
Room correction, on 2ch only.

Q: How large are your filters (how many taps, how many paths)?
32k and 64k, 2 channel only, up to 192k, but in some cases up to 384k.

Q: What CPU are you running them on?
From a Rpi2 up to Mac mini running i5.

Q: What software do you use to create filters?
Manual iterative process. I use REW to measure, then manually create Meridian room correction filters in software for use with my Meridian 861v4. Usually takes 3-4 run throughs to get it right, but it’s not a massively time consuming job and I’m happy with the results.

Q: What software do you use to apply filters?
Meridian MRC

Q: What do you use the filters for (e.g. room correction, headphones, digital xo, …)?
Room correction, 2.1 channels.

Q: How large are your filters (how many taps, how many paths)?
No idea. Use roughly 6 per channel, all sub 250hz

Q: What CPU are you running them on?
The laptop is an i7 to measure, but it’s run on my 861. Assuming we can do this in Roon on the server, then it’ll be an i5 2500@3.4ghz with 8GB ram and an SSD drive

What software do you use to create filters?
Room EQ Wizard using sine sweeps for headphone correction and measurement mic for room and speaker correction.

What software do you use to apply filters?
Equalizer APO (parametric filters)

What do you use the filters for (e.g. room correction, headphones, digital xo, …)?
Room, speaker and headphone correction.

How large are your filters (how many taps, how many paths)?
Parametric EQ with peak (freq, gain, Q), high/low shelf (6 or 12 dB/oct) and high/low pass filters, 15+ filters applied on each stereo channel depending on application.

What CPU are you running them on?
Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz

@brian will the EQ be something we could set and toggle on and off from a remote? If so that would work well with my 80s hair metal.

:blush:

Hi Jeff,

One of the guiding principles of Roon is that the user experience should be unchanged between platforms. There are some minor exceptions for the iPhone app but I’d be pretty confident that you will be able to control the DSP for any non-private Zone from any Control. This should enable you to stand a sufficient distance away when boosting the bass on Iron Maiden :sunglasses::guitar:.

But, Iron Maiden is not 80s hair metal, you should edit and replace Iron Maiden with Cinderella. :smiley:

1 Like

I wasn’t going to say anything. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want to have to fiddle with the DSP on each album, but it would be a start. I’d want to configure a single EQ that improves those harsh thin sounding 80s CDs and a quick way to turn it on.

What would even be cooler would be presets that you could attach to albums. :heart_eyes:

Being able fix bright harsh recordings with EQ presets might save us all money on gear upgrades. :astonished:

3 Likes

I forgot about that feature that I liked in iTunes. :unamused:

I feel dirty for requesting a feature that was actually in iTunes after spending the last 10 years putting iTunes down. :confounded:

1 Like

Better to feel dirty about putting iTunes down than feel like an idiot with a library containing several thousand iTunes songs. That would be me.

Those songs ain’t going anywhere either. But they sure sounded great at the time…

Brian, I assume you have considered the fact that different end points will need different processing, and may operate simultaneously. .

1 Like

Having read many of Brian’s posts over the past year, I think we can be confident he’s considered it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the way I would expect it to work, and it does bring home why the devs often reccomend to people that they err on the side of greater processing power with hardware. There is no guarantee that just because you can run RoonServer now on your fridge or garage door controller that it will be able to cope with more intensive processing loads of future features.

1 Like

I want to second @andybob. I know I’ve mentioned it in other threads, but, Roon is a product still in process of adding new, bigger and better features. It would be a good bet that future features are going to need more processing power.

2 Likes

As the OP of this thread I’d like to thank the whole Roon team for the huge effort it must have been to create all the DSP functions in 1.3. I do not know who to tank most, but @brian surely and I also believe @joel has done a lot. I’ll leave it to Brian to pass due thanks internally. Thank You!

5 Likes

On that kind note from Olav I’ll close this thread as it is now well and truly delivered.

1 Like