Anyone get a NUC8 (Bean Canyon) yet?

Maybe not so much. Current prices for NUC7s and the equivalent NUC8s are about the same. You could have saved about $50 with the i3 versions.

1 Like

I can never understand that … and yet you see it almost daily. Sure it’s a premium product for the mass market but actually quite reasonable for what you get.

Just in from Akasa:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless%20Chassis&type_sub=Fanless%20NUC&model=A-NUC43-M1B

A key difference from the previous Platos was to match the changed NUC CPU location. Nice that they are supporting up to i7. It is supposed to be available in the UK in about a week. Internationally, thereafter.

1 Like

Not that long ago, I was at a friend’s house who has a pair of stand-mounted Play:5’s that are well positioned in her living room. I was very surprised at just how good they sounded. Great value for the money, IMO.

1 Like

Hi there, I have been experiencing some trouble with my NUC7 (that’s in another thread here) which seems to have some hardware defect.
While waiting for a replacement unit I couldn’t help but trying the installation on a NUC8i5. The installation procedure went fine and ROCK is up and running…BUT…it crashes after 3-5 minutes whenever I pull the screen cable (or boot without screen attached). When a screen is attached it runs fine for what seems forever (stopped testing after 45 minutes).
Has anyone experienced that before/ has some tips what could be wrong? I played around with the BIOS settings already, but cannot get it to run properly. Of course I tested the defaults incl. the settings suggested by the installation guide. The Rock seems to do everything it is supposed to as I can play music/ browse the library. It just freezes (Rock cannot be found/ no ping possible) repeatable when the screen is disconnected.

Regards, René

(I know NUC8 is not supported but it seems alot of guys are using it already)

I would try powering off the nuc, removing the video cable, then powering up the nuc again. Some OS’s don’t like the monitor to “disappear” when the system is running.

See fist post „… whenever I pull the screen cable (or boot without screen attached)“

I encountered a similar problem when setting up my NUC8i5. I was using my TV as a monitor.

Once I had set up the NUC with a normal monitor, everything went fine.

The only explanation I can think of is that a TV doesn’t communicate any plug 'n play information to the bios.

Don’t know if you set up your NUC with a plug 'n play monitor, but if not, maybe give it a try.

Not promising anything though…

I used ab pc monitor via usb-c/ thunderbolt as the same monitor did not work via HDMI. I will give it a go with my TV tonight.

Hope you get it working.

That said, when I got the NUC up and running in it’s final position, I did use the TV as monitor for booting up.

After that I just unplugged the HDMI cable and used the browser UI.

Worked just fine.

On Intel NUC 8i5BEH I did also have some issues activating the BIOS. But by playing with F-keys during boot I ended up with the BIOS screen.

However I did have some problems by activating SSD and USB connections, but suddenly the NUC started booting on the Roon Image on USB key. The Intel instruction was unclear until the least…

But now Roon Rock is running as a charm on Intel NUC 8i5BEH.

Kr
Kim

I thought the USB-C port was not supported by ROCK. I have the NUC8i5 and I’ve had issues with different monitor configurations and cables as well WHEN ACCESSING THE BIOS. On the rare occasion that I now need to see the BIOS, my best results are my high end TV with basic, but high quality HDMI cable. But I have not encountered it working for minutes and then stopping.

AKASA has now alerted me to a NEW form factor (“Turing”) that supports the full 28W TPD for the NUC8 line. For those of you who foresee running highly demanding NUC loads (I do not), a preview is here:
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2019/02/first-look-akasas-turing.html

Go that’s hideous.

1 Like

Try another monitor and keyboard. That solved the BIOS access issue for me.

Intel NUC 8i5BEK working perfectly with Roon ROCK installed.

Kim

Has anyone tried to use the USB-C port for audio?

Is it safe to assume that the USB 3.1 ports support audio without issues?

Hideous doesn’t even start to describe that thing. The Plato line pointed towards them maybe not hiring the top of the crop industrial designers, but this is on a whole new level. And this might be pre-production, but on top of it all, the pictures make it look like it was finished with an angle grinder.

Looks like a Borg cube…

Or what a 14 year old LinusTechTips forum dweller would DIY…

Other places mill their own that are so much better. Shame the company I got my new core from dont do cases for NUC’s as they are awesome and custom milled by them to a very high finish, even the PSU feels better than most nuc ones. But its only for their own systems. They did make one a few years back but no longer. There is definitlely a gap for after market quality silent cases for NUC’s.