Anyone get a NUC8 (Bean Canyon) yet?

I think you have been really unlucky.

I personally have never caught the Apple bug (very nasty I believe), although I do like my iPad, so I have built my own fairly high end PCs for as long as I can remember and have never (or at least not for at least 20 years or more) come across faulty RAM modules.

Hopefully your problems have been sorted, and keep taking those Apple remedy tablets. They will work in the end.:innocent:

What is the meaning of widespread? It’s an issue that effects people. Roon @support is aware of it, but thanks for your input.

I wasn’t aware that this was an issue that had been acknowledged by Roon, so I was simply pointing out that although it’s an issue that is obviously affecting some people, not everyone with Rock installed on ROCK has encountered these problems as your comment the “Display freezes on Rock, but not under WIN10)” might suggest.

Thanks for negotiating my reported bug for me.

You are very welcome!

FYI I got ROCK installed on a NUC8i5BEH 2x4 GB RAM M2 Blue3D NAND SSD without a hitch, just needed to update the BIOS according to the instructions.

I got a NUC8i7BEH recently and just got it running. No real problems and not too difficult. The factory BIOS was same version as current, but it overwrote it anyway. I accidentally bought a DIMM module and had to return it for the correct SODIMM, which I got as a single Crucial 8GB module.

One odd issue is that I have a couple of WiFi routers running and my laptop doesn’t seem to connect to the NUC when the laptop is connected to one WiFi signal, even though the NUC is connected via Ethernet cable. I don’t think that will be a problem in use, though.

For information, I’ve just installed a NUC8i3BEH with:

• 8Go Crucial CT8G4SFS824A (DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200, Single Rank x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin)
  • 120GB Corsair Force MP300, M.2 PCIe Gen. 3 x2 NVMe-SSD

Roon Rock is running OK so far (no WiFi support for the moment).
Also, upsampling Qobuz streaming to DSD64 (using Roon AIR as the oupput to a Devialet expert 200) shows a speed around 4x to 4.4x speed (25% of a core).

Roon work better on Windows 10 Pro (vers. 1903), not Rock, not Linux.

1 Like

HI
Also had my first go with ROCK and my new intel NUC8i3BEH. Had been using a windows 10 PC for the past three years…I felt I was wasting too much electricity into my audio.

However, despite having copied the codec file OK, ROON does not recognize my MP3 files nor my ALAC files in the internal storage directory. Ayone had same issues?
Thanks

Assuming you are using the ROCK OS and have the right ffmpeg in the right folder it works on a NUC8i7BEH which I cannot imagine is that different?

All good here. I guess you have followed the instructions here https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_OS_Missing_Codecs
Make sur you have properly unzipped the archive here https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz , copy the ffmpeg file only to your ROCK /Data/Codecs/ folder, and reboot.

Right, I did all that. Unzipping is done OK. I even tried to download different files from John Van Sickle site (ffmpeg-git-i686-static or ffmpeg-release-i686-static) but same result.
Rock OS is not indexing my folders with MP3 nor ALAC files…:frowning:

FLAC and DSD files, no problems they work really well.

Great! Just found the issue.
My internal storage folder with MP3 and ALAC files, was under the list of “Ignored Paths” of the storage location settiongs. What a silly issue…Thank you very much for your help guys. Enjoying now my full collection of albums!
:slight_smile:

Nah, that’s not a silly issue. Roon is really powerful and takes time to really understand. Issues like that are the ones we learn the most from. Good to see you solved it.

I setup a NUC8i7BEH this past week, with Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB NVMe M.2 SSD for ROCK, 8 GB RAM, and a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB SATA III SSD for audio file storage.

I followed the Roon Knowledge base instructions for updating the BIOS, installing ROCK, and adding the ffmpeg codec, restoring my database, and copying over audio files from a smb mount running on a Mac Mini (which was my prior Roon Core host). I use the 1 TB internal SSD to store about 450 GB of ripped CDs and purchased 24-bit FLAC audio. I am also using Qobuz. I have it and my Naim NDX2 attached to a Cisco 2960 Gbit switch. Everything works great, at a quarter the cost of a Nucleus+ and same or better performance.

3 Likes

Hi
How do you come to this assumption and what components does your system consist of to be able to classify this statement?

His assumption can be quantified in any number of ways, USB DACs that don’t work to Linux, huge libraries that seem to work better in Windows or even just plain old personal preference! His findings are also the polar opposite of mine, which were that the hassle of maintaining Windows took away from my enjoyment of my music and was an all too frequent reminder that I was a slave to a computer! I am a happy ROCK user.

2 Likes

Hi all quick question how quiet is the new NUC 8 i7 (Bean Canyon) … my older Nuc 6th gen i7 is sometimes quite vocal… also does it draw less power than my current 6th gen…