Apple Music and/or Spotify as Roon sources

You may be be surprised by how an iPhone connected to a good DAC can sound like :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t know about your problems, I was just correcting your statement :wink:

Did i miss a statement of roon, if they will implement Apple?

That is puzzling. Apple removed headphone jack and pushed their wireless headphones and yet they are betting on Hi-res audio.In fact they will be promoting Hi-res audio as the next big thing on devices that cannot play lossless music. Strange.

They aren’t betting on high res. They’ve released lossless tiers to prevent Spotify from charging for their hifi tier. Robs Spotify one of their only options to increase their profitability and makes it harder for them to compete. They aren’t selling lossless files or upgrading purchases to lossless. High res is also not supported in their own headphones which should indicate exactly how much difference apple believes the higher res offers (in their opinion, none for their customers).

Apple cares much more about spatial audio as it’s something most users will immediately notice the difference and actively prefer over their competitors. People who try it and can’t get it on Spotify have a reason to switch which is important when your services have basically the same library of content.

5 Likes

To me, the real issue is what happens if / when Tidal and Qobuz cease to exist? If Roon can’t/ won’t incorporate Apple or Spotify, I have little use to subscribe to Roon.

4 Likes

Apple ain’t dumb .

It’s the exact opposite, there’s no money in hardware. The more people you can shift cheap hardware to the more people you can have subscribing on a monthly fee. It’s the same idea modern consoles work on.

Except Apples margins on hardware is much, much higher than a console and significantly more than Apple Music.

2 Likes

In that case, why is Spotify (by far the biggest music streaming service) making a loss whilst Apple (manufacturers of innovative hardware) making a huge profit? Consoles may work in the way that you’ve described, but music streaming does not. There’s plenty of money in hardware if you tie people in to an ecosystem that is built around continual upgrades.

My exact point with Roon and Nucleus. No need for a Nucleus if Tidal and Qobuz are no longer in business.

1 Like

Why would they cease to exist. Nothings really changed with Apple doing this. If you want the real choice of using the service in a hifi context they are the best options available and will continue to be. If you want to the cheap then sure use Apple Music and airplay but your not going to get the best out of your system with it

1 Like

Given the new platforms with Spotify and Apple Music, it’s hard to see them compete.

In our dreams

We only need someone high up in the Apple organization to start using Roon :slight_smile:

Of course, then they will buy it :wink: (leading to Tidal + Qobuz being removed)… so not sure.
But the Apple TV+ actually do support all streaming platforms except Netflix (Netflix does not want to join). So there might be hope and focus on end-user/customer and their experience. My guess is that Roon is a too small blip in the big pile of money - so Apple, Amazon and Spotify really does not care.

Feels pretty much like the same interface here. Obviously lacks many features of Roon but it is very reliable and easy to use. I think most users of the BluOS app would find the dog’s dinner comment does not connect to their experience.

Oh I think many users do, thats why they are here. :slight_smile:

That’s cute. I think if you start adding up the number of complaints about inconsistency within Roon’s interface here it would far outweigh the number of similar complaints about the BluOS at the Bluesound forums. But I’m sure you knew that already. I think both work very well overall - but one is free and functions as intended a bit more often.

Except that Tidal sounds like crap now with MQA and Qbuz is not available in Canada. So dumping Roon is likely for me even though I have a lifetime membership.

2 Likes

It doesn’t appear Apple is betting on hi-res audio. The announcement was made as a press release on a Monday morning, not something they would do for a major release. This is most likely a response to Amazon and Spotify, not an effort to win over audiophiles.