Apple Music and/or Spotify as Roon sources

Not entirely sure yet. Ill know for sure June 1 when it goes live though. I know I can stream the cd quality 16/44 apple lossless tracks through my airport express. I use the digital optical output into my hires dac. Airport express wont support anything higher than 24/44 though. For their hires I have apple tvs hooked up to all my systems using the hdmi output into my dac also. So ill just have to see if the music app in the apple tv supports which track formats.

I have a 1.4 MILLION album library (cd & hires & dsd). But I still subscribe to tidal & apple music as I find music I still dont have! I also have over 50k records I can choose from.

2 Likes

How long does it take you to cycle through your library?

2 Likes

I doubt most consumers have any clue what they want when it comes to the quality of music replay. I think Apple, Amazon, and Spotify are doing this merely as marketing/branding/bragging rights, and for most users of their services it will have very little affect. An MP3 of a pop song will probably sound almost the same on an iPhone as a 24/96.

And for all the doom and gloomers about Qobuz/Tidal/ and Roon, there’s a simple solution - re-up your subs and don’t jump ship to save a few dollars and copycat the masses, and they will survive.

Apple TV and other AirPlay solutions won’t do HighRes (for now) – you’ll need a USB DAC connected to your Mac for that. Also – don’t get to excited for June 1st – Apple just said ‘Coming in June’ – it all could well be weeks away. Don’t get me wrong though: I use Apple Music daily and I am as interested to see what happens as the next guy – but I think options will be limited form the start (as will the number of tracks available in Lossless: 20 mln. – the other 55 mln. following in the rest of year).

Hehe… With Primephonic, I use Chromecast from iOS. Works fine up to 96/24.

Yes I have a Cambridge Audio CXN v1. I could AirPlay, those with the V2 could Chromecast

Still not too elegant

Beats 5 meters of USB cabling + a dangling DAC… :wink:

Thanks for the clarification. Well, here’s hoping that’s good news down the line. (I’m not holding my breath.)

A (very!) long shot, but still worth letting Apple know we are here…

Cross-linking to post I made earlier about how to submit feedback to Apple.

There’s this too: MusicKit - Apple Developer

1 Like

Yes please add Apple Music support.

1 Like

Come to think of it, Apple Music will have hi-res, already has its own search and organise facilities, already has more songs than Tidal and Qobuz.

I have yet to find a song on Roon (that’s Tidal/Qobuz enabled) that I can’t find on Apple Music but there are quite a lot of content in Apple Music that I can’t find on Roon.

And except for some DSD files in local, I probably don’t really need to use Roon to locate a CD/HIRes copy of music on my local library.

So in conclusion, if I want to use Apple Music, I should find a solution to connect a Dac to an Apple device rather than use Roon, and I could probably play the handful of DSD in another software when needed.

I totally understand the perspective of Roon’s decision not to add Apple Music. It probably adds little to the experience of Apple Music and is a waste of developer resources.

There was an article in WhatHiFi about which Apple devices would be Hi Res capable, unfortunately I deleted it

The summary was Not Many , they may have HR content but you will need external hardware

I am thinking if Apple is carrying on with this Hires Loseless music, they will probably have their own brand of Apple Music connect/ Apple Music ready to let high end hifi company to connect to Apple device. Maybe it will be called Airplay 3? Whatever the name it is, I am sure hifi manufacturers will jump onto it.

BUT for now !ugly cables lashing your iDevice to a DAC .?

For now we can use Mac USB port to a Dac I guess……

Having read all this I was wondering how ROON themselves are looking at these developments, that is high quality streams from the major platforms like Apple and Amazon.

What I mean is that this all can have major impact on them. I would not want to speak of an excistential crisis yet, but not wanting to support or not being able to support thease giants could soon lead to users suspending theire subscription in favor of services which do support these platforms. Trust me, I’m a big ROON fan, but this would be in the back of my head if I can find a more or less comparable tool.

Maybe this isn’t even a question of wanting to support these services, but to having to support them in order to survive. If I would have something to do with it I would urge my development team to find a way.

1 Like

From a SQ point of view this isn’t an option, at least not for me.

I am sure there will be work around

1 Like