Apple Music better sound quality than Tidal?

Thank you so much! :pray:t3:

1 Like

I think this is actually how most sane people listen to music (not like us insane audiophiles). Just kidding, of course. :wink:

Iā€™ve been listening to Ambient music since Music For Airports was a new release :sweat_smile:
Enjoying your work, which was new to me @Alan_Barnard

Iā€™m wondering if your preference for Apple Music @Robert_Borley has anything to do with AirPods being optimized for ALAC/AAC ?
Iā€™m not certain they are but I think I may have read this somewhere?
Personally Iā€™ve never noticed significant SQ differences amongst streaming services other than when different masters are available.

2 Likes

Thanks for your support! :pray:t3:

Me too! :blush:

Enjoying your work, which was new to me @Alan_Barnard

Thank you!

1 Like

I think I may have missed out on your music because Tidal via Roon has the genre as New Age.
I donā€™t disagree as New Age and Ambient certainly overlap but I tend to avoid browsing New Age as a genre as itā€™s sometimes a bit tooā€¦.flowery? :sweat_smile: for my taste.
Are you able to add more than one genre when publishing?
Canā€™t help but wonder if then more folks like me would find you.

I agree, I donā€™t like the New Age label. Unfortunately, independent artists donā€™t have a lot of say in how the streaming services classify their releases. Basically you have to pick from a relatively short list of genres that may or may not fit your music, then itā€™s ultimately up to the services.

1 Like

Had a quick listen to a couple of tracks - very nice and chilled indeed :sunglasses:. Iā€™ll definitely explore further.

1 Like

Yes. I think that is definitely a contributing factor when listening on iOS devices. The difference (improvement is more pronounced). However, AM also sounds better than the native iOS Tidal app so perhaps Apple also optimise for AM over other apps. But then that soesnt explain why Plexamp sounds better. :man_shrugging:

Still, AM also sounds better than Tidal on my home audio system.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just spent the last month comparing Apple Music, Qobuz and Tidal, the last in both ā€˜standardā€™ lossless and MQA. Itā€™s been very interesting, and my conclusions are, in decreasing order:

1. Tidal/Roon: the balance between MQA and non-MQA very much comes down to the individual recording, but MQA is working well for me.
  2. Tidal/Qobuz: Very, very little in it, but not enough to tip me to Qobuz
  3. Apple Music/Apple iPhone 13 XS Max/Airpods Pro 2: Perhaps unsurprisingly, Apple Music seems to work very well with the spatial audio of their own ear pods.
  4. Apple Music/USB from M1 Mac Mini: Does sound slightly ā€˜processedā€™ in comparison to either Tidal or Roon. Rather disappointed
  5. Apple Music via Airplay. Whateverā€¦ ā€¦would use for dinner party background or kitchen system.

Playout chain for all bar the iPhone/Airplay combos is Roonserver on M1 Mac Mini via LAN to Gustard A26, into Arcam AVR20 (Analogue Direct setting), to Michell Alecto II+ monoblocs and thence to Martin Logan Spire speakers.

2 Likes

Well of course. As AirPlay is 16/44.1 max. And Apple Music played through AirPlay streams as 256 bit/sec AAC, and not lossless.

Exactly. Included for completeness.

What about this particular track?

Itā€™s not all tracks and albums for me. Iā€™ve also spent hours comparing and most often, I can hear very little difference. But now and again, itā€™s stark. I discovered this when I decided to ditch my reference playlist and started to focus attention on album tracks which stood out to me when listening for enjoyment. Sometimes Iā€™d use Tidal sometimes Apple Music or Spotify. Over the past few months. It hits me when Iā€™m not AB listening. Then when I AB that track the difference is apparent every time.

Tidal is MQA and MQA only and they are the only one to be MQA only. Whatever service you choose on Tidal is either MQA or crippled by MQA. Discussing Tidal vs anything without talking MQA is impossible without performing some unnatural acts.

What about Tidal HiFi (lossless)? Thatā€™s not MQA.

I think @wormcycle is referring to higher sample rates.

I had a Tidal HiFi plan recently.
Many albums were only available in MQA and thus it would serve MQA.
As many have noted in the forums here it would seem Tidal is gradually replacing all its 16/44 FLAC content with MQA.
Which seems to be a higher priority for them then replacing its lossy only content.
At the risk of re-opening a very stinky can of worms:
My take on MQA is that my brain hates the politics of it but my ears donā€™t care too much.

2 Likes

Did not noticed that. thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Saying ā€œreplacing allā€ might have been a reach.
I was an early MQA adapter.
At first (as far as I could see) MQA on Tidal was only used for hi-res content.
When I re-subscribed last month I saw a lot of 16/44 MQA and in many cases no FLAC alternative and still plenty of AAC only.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 00.14.42

1 Like