Apple Music Classical - first impressions

I was hoping the same, but there are so few apps that can run on all devices (iphone, ipad and ventura)
This is my main problem for the moment with apple music, how do i confortable connect to my dac and make that iPhone that is connected to the dac, headless (and maybe connect to HQP)

1 Like

For those looking for a way to connect iOS apps to existing DACs or processors, you can use the WiiM mini device as an Airplay endpoint that will output optical SFDIF.

I must say, although neither will replace Roon for me yet, it is a pleasure to use apps like AC and Presto that are clearly designed by people who know Classical music. Roon too often feels like a half-thought-out grab bag of user interface concepts that don’t mesh well, at least for me.

4 Likes

I can’t download music for offline listening. The library organization is horrible. For example, you have to favorite artists to have them appear in the Artist section of your library. As opposed to adding an album or track to your library and then being able to navigate your personal library by track, artist, album, etc.

For me, it’s a glorified search engine, at this point.

So, it doesn’t feel right to me to have to bypass my high quality DAC and use the one in that little Wiifi device. Sigh. I’ll wait for a Mac Mini version.

1 Like

You can Airplay directly to a Mac Mini …

Edit: instructions at this link.

And that’s going through the DAC in the WiiM Mini?

I guess Apple expects people to play through awful little Bluetooth speakers or EarPods. Why would I play lossless to those devices?

I think @ScottB was referring to use Airplay from phone to Mac Mini where you select your default output to your Dac (assuming the dac is usb connected)

I agree. Last night find out that you can use system prefs accessibility to control iPhone (for me does not work as I have a very old one, need iOs 16 I think). So connect iPhone using a camera dongle to your dac. and remote from a comp

You Airplay to the Mac Mini and it plays through it’s current sound output - DAC, whatever. No other devices needed.

1 Like

I can try. I don’t think the quality will be as high as streaming from Tidal/Qobuz under Roon on my Mac Mini to my USB connected DAC.

I’ll never tether my phone to the stereo. That’s just not happening. The whole point of the phone is portability.

Just an old phone as a device not the one that you are using as a phone. I’m searching for better (quality) ways of doing it but for the moment looks like is the best.

I would like an app for Ventura or better an AM connect

Using Airplay? I suspect the same. But pls do tell if you try (I have a zen stream that can do Airplay but never tried)

Yes, you can airplay from iPad/ iPhone to a recent Mac – that’s what I’m doing right now. Even Dirac Live works this way (installed on Mac). Of course, the streaming quality is limited to 16/44.1, but it’s in ALAC (verified) and good enough for my tired ears.
I’m playing around with Presto Music at the moment. Lots of stuff to like. Certainly more care was taken with this app re things classical than what AMC has currently to offer. I was too kind in my first appreciation of AMC; the more I use it, the less inspired it looks to me. It’s somewhat hilarious that for some albums, it’s easier to find them in the standard music app than AMC. There are also fewer mistakes of attribution (such as a Haydn quartet being identified as having been composed by Leopold M. – I assume, Leopold Mozart – check the recent Akos Quartet release of the Erdödy quartets) in the standard app.

Thanks. I might be very well with 16/44.1
But if you connect iPhone to a usb DAC you get more?

I’m going to wait a bit more until I trial. Anyway I’ll have to buy some used iPhone as I did not use iPhone for the last 7 years. I do not like having iPhone (or iPad) as main phone, I loose myself in it and spend too much time.

Hooking up your Mac, iPhone, iPad to your DAC via USB will give you up to 24/192.
By the way, I’d rather take out a subscription to Presto Music than buying an iPhone just for AMC. In my opinion, it’s not worth it (not yet, anyway, as I hope that they will keep working on the app).

1 Like

Thank you for your answer
I’ve got the same feeling that we need to wait.

Sadly, at present, Presto lacks the ability to stream individual works from an album. This is part problematic with “box” sets.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand what you mean. You can play any track(s) you want.

Right now I’m playing Quartet No. 2 from the box set of Schubert’s quartets.

And if I tap Explore …

… I can have a listen of other interpretations of that work.

One of the great things about Presto Music is that they provide some information on the albums. (And, of course, they provide booklets!).

Also have no problems with playing individual tracks

I am not so sure I agree with the statement, (can’t comment on Presto) . Roon now has direct links into Wikipedia and , to my mind the Wikipedia articles on Composer Bio’s and Works are infinitely superior to the “one liner” type I am seeing in AC. I would say if you are a Beethoven aficionado , the Beethoven Bio in AC is a joke ! it screams how much can you fit on a cell phone screen

In terms of connecting to HiFi in the best possible fidelity , I think there are many ways to get around passing AC to Hi Fi without an external connection , but most involve AirPlay . I have a Naim Uniti Atom and a Cambridge Audio CXN both of which that I can stream Airplay to. That is not the point.

It’s “fairly well agreed” that AirPlay is inferior to a full Hi Res PCM stream like RAAT so in terms of moving forward AirPlay to me is a step back.

To my knowledge the only way to stream a lossless PCM stream from an Apple device is to use the iDevice as an end point and then connect via a Camera Kit USB C (or Lightening)
→ USB A and then a cable to the USB input of the DAC. I would love to know any other ways. I believe this is even Apple’s suggestion at this stage, If I am correct even their premium headphones won’t do it wirelessly.

This is a lash up at best , my first impression is whether it’s even worth it

It does seem a rather half hearted entry at this stage , at least to me. Roon & Tidal beats it hands down …

4 Likes

Works quite well as integrated app using my astell kern SR25 Mk 2 . plays HD straight to Wired B& W P8s or wirelessly. Still no Roon integration though for AK SR 25 2 though !!

What is Charles Mingus, Sun Ra and Wayne Shorter doing in the app?!

1 Like