Apple Music HiFi tier to be announced

Question, which streamer do you have?

Have to wait for more news if current Airplay 2 devices will automatically support it.

Whoopie-doo. CDs, introduced in the early 1980ā€™s. Now the next big thing. I didnā€™t see a format specification on the Dolby tracks but presume they are still lossy and not redbook.

Project Stream Box S2 ultra. Only shareport support currently. Probably wonā€™t get an update

Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz. Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC).

from: Apple Music announces Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio - Apple

Should support CD quality though. Which will be the vast majority of the 75 million tracks.

1 Like

For 16/44 (which is really all you need, but lets not go there) you can already get this via shairport-sync on any Pi based solution, and lots of other hardware already supports regular Airplay.

For Airplay 2, lets hope this is more than a rumor

2 Likes

It is already influencing the market with Amazon dropping the price to ā€˜no extra costā€™ too for their HD tier.

Further integrations makes too much sense for Roon.

1 Like

Yeah Dorsey bought Tidal at exactly the wrong time. I only have Tidal to use with Roon and now will dump Tidal and use all Apple Music. If Roon canā€™t or wonā€™t do Apple Music Iā€™ll dump it too.

1 Like

A year of Apple Music is $99

1 Like

Chrome cast is spyware.

1 Like

Yes I just saw this.

Can also get Bluesound Node 2i and Cambridge Audio CXN V2 that have supported Airplay 2 for a while now

Optical and digital coax outputs if you have your own DAC.

1 Like

Although I like Roon, I fear Iā€™ll do the same.

1 Like

Yeah, probably the way I will take as well. Just have to figure out a cost optimal way to reuse or replace my streaming gear. Having all eggs in one basket makes life easier.

Indeed, though if the Belkin device existed it would be a fraction of the price of those and supporting home kit would be a plus.

Shairport is more than enough for my needs. And it works great with the HomePod miniā€™s. ā€œHey Siri Play Django on the Kitchen Piā€ and as of June 1st, cd quality music streaming to my proper speakers without using my phone.

When I did bit perfect test (16/44.1) with Shairport it failed for me. But no biggie with a Kitchen Pi of course. Great that it works.

My Airport Express still works great with official Airplay 2

Having an iOS device tethered to my DAC via a Lightning to USB cable? No remote from my armchairā€¦?

No thank-you. Iā€™ll be sticking with Roon/Qobuz for home listening, and Iā€™ll use Apple Music for music on-the-go.

2 Likes

I just tried a bit test with my RME ADI-2 FS and it passed the 16/44 one, had to put the volume to 100% and disable any DSP of course.

2 Likes

I tried same with same DAC but I clearly did something wrong. Passed with my Airport Express 2 though.

Iā€™ll try again but thanks for letting me know. Good info.

Authentic AirPlay does require proper hardware.

1 Like