Apple Music HiFi tier to be announced

Absolutely. They are, and always will be, a minority platform. As such, I have absolutely no use for that company myself, and refuse to own or use their products.

New Apple Hi Fi to be announced Tuesday?

1 Like

Apple Music Beta for Android confirms lossless audio streaming.

Hi-res lossless up to 24 bit/192 kHz are mentioned.

5 Likes

Read this Nobody needs HiFi Apple Music+

The guy basically said that almost nobody can hear the difference ? !

And all of those who can are on the Roon Forum!

6 Likes

People with portable and Bluetooth of course no difference.

I can hear a field mouse fart from a 1/4 mile away !!!

3 Likes

Only 1/4mile?
I think you need your ears syringed!

2 Likes

And if you donā€™t do volume levelling or heavy DSP, heā€™s probably right.

I hate volume levelling. You may as well listen to AM radio in my opinion.

4 Likes

LOL surely youā€™re taking the mickey here?

Funniest comment since @davidh 's classic but now banned writings

1 Like

Nope - serious. It may be my ears but volume levelling ruins the music to me. Thatā€™s why I canā€™t understand all these people who moan about file standards and recordings and use volume levelling or DSP.

2 Likes

Apple Music for Android reveals high res will stream in ALAC at up to 96/192 Apple Music for Android preps for lossless audio streaming - 9to5Google

1 Like

A good reminder for those that think Apple Music is locked to only Apple iOS devicesā€¦

Apple Music Android + Chromecast works great.

3 Likes

They would never miss this opportunity to broaden their customer base exactly in the sweet segment and ultimately gain more hardware users (switchers). Music is just the perfect, never ageing drug for this purpose :wink:

2 Likes

This part quoted, we can all agree on :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe he canā€™t, but on my excellent system, even while casually listening, I can hear the difference. When jumping from CD qualify to high res, there is a significant increase in the crispness of the music with noticeably better transients, decay and ambience. Not that CD sounds bad. Believe me, a well recording CD gives me great pleasure. But the same thing , from the same master but in hi res will sound much better.

Since Android is limited to 48/24 for most devices, and iOS without an external DAC is 44.1, will take that with a pinch of salt. What does Apple get here whenthe main market for this service is mobiles and has hardware incapable of acutally making any benefit of hires.

I guess they could release new hardware with more capable DACā€™s in but cant see that being a selling point to the majority of iPhone users.

1 Like

Maybe Apple is planning to opening up for higher resolution via Airplay 2.

I have read somewhere that the Airplay 2 protocol should be able to support high resolution, but at the moment is capped at CD resolution.

1 Like

That would be interesting.

My Lumin T2 does support AirPlay (1). I guess itā€™s based on Shairport Sync ā€“ open source AirPlay project (I have no evidence of that, just an assumption). I donā€™t know if an AirPlay 2 update will ever be possible.

If Apple will update the specs of AirPlay protocol to cover hi-res needs and Lumin will update it too, then itā€™d be fantastic.

Otherwise, another way would be to connect a DAC via USB to my Mac. Just wondering how to solve the usual issue of automatic sample rate switching in Audio MIDI Setup.