Apple Music High Res

Up to the individual, if CD is good enough for you then High Res doesn’t matter to you.

Others may feel differently.

Delete ……….

1 Like

20 posts were split to a new topic: Nowadays everything is more complicated

My error I’m hitting lossless icon before I start playing the music.

1 Like

No worries. Back on track then :grin:

1 Like

I’m still fighting on all fronts, except for putting a computer in my audio chain, which it’s a line I will never cross! You may argue that most of the streamers are at one level or another a computer, nothing to argue about, but then again who are you to tell me not to fool myself! :rofl:

I do not know about Chord, but i agree, done (and played) correctly redbook can easily beat the HDs.

hi, how do you use airplay with audirvana legacy mode? i tried it and it is very buggy. which version are you using and how do you do it? thanks

One of the music sources on my computer is an iTunes library. I decided to “sync” my library on iCloud after noticing that the Music application on my iMac allows 24/192 downloads to one’s computer of music added from Apple Music. My hope was that, once downloaded into my iTunes library, Roon would “see” them and be able to play them. I downloaded an album in high-res last night and noticed that that they are in HLS format. Roon does not “see” them. Is HLS a format that can be played by Roon?

Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify all of them allow download for offline listening, but that content is proprietary and can only be played within their specific ecosystem (native applications), AFAIK. I do not have Apple Music and i do not know if that’s the case too. My 2c.

The music downloaded for offline listening from Apple Music catalogue is DRM protected. This is the reason Roon doesn’t see it.

The music bought from Apple (not the streaming subscription, bought so you can own it) is without DRM and can be seen and played by Roon. Currently Apple sells AAC (lossy) music.

Or its not bitperfect and destroying the mqa stream.

Talk about Apple Music will ‘grab the headlines’ for the next few weeks. No doubt. BUT then people will come to realise its limitations. As a current subscriber, I know them all too well already.

Apple Music isn’t a ‘threat’ to Roon. It’s just another player in the market.

But when I return home from work, to find my pipe & slippers, there’s only one thing I look forward to - Roon.

5 Likes

It may not be a threat to Roon, Martin, but, it certainly is to the streaming partners Roon does business with. I appreciate your passionate defense of Roon, though, as it certainly deserves it!

3 Likes

This will probably also depend on those that hold the rights. For them, only having a few streaming services (AM, Amazon, and Spotify) will be loosing. Now customers here pay 2-4 streaming services for almost the same. And I think right holders do not only earn per play but also through licensing agreements with the service providers. And probably less from the big ones. So, they prefer diversity. Qobuz will probably loose little when they stick on their hires selling and streaming offer. Personally, I spent 220 bucks on the streaming per year and xxxx on buying hires content per year.

I have a question that I’m too lazy to research but maybe someone here knows the answer. Is there an advantage in fidelity by streaming lossless to an iPhone and then transcoding to Bluetooth as opposed to streaming AAC and converting? Seems to me the converter would have a better source to transmit to the Bluetooth device.

streamy, they’ve got us in the bag already, bud. Most people out there aren’t spending hundreds per year on multiple streaming services and hi-res downloads. Apple is after everyone else.

As for the per play licensing, who’s getting more clicks these days, Youtube or Qobuz? Amazon or Tidal? These smaller services aren’t even a mathematical error for the real players.

1 Like

Roon isn’t even primarily a streaming package. It’s primary audience is those looking for a great library management solution, especially for large libraries. Although they hope streaming helps land a few more subscribers, that has never been the primary focus. If it was, I wouldn’t be a lifetime subscriber.

3 Likes

That’s another main issue for Roon, as, while I tend to see Roon as you do, the company itself is moving further and further in a streaming-based direction.

Doesn’t Roon have to move in this direction?

Less and less people are buying digital music.

3 Likes

IMHO, if they stray too far away from their library management roots, they will fail as a company. It won’t be David vs Goliath, it would be David vs three Goliaths.

2 Likes