Apple Music High Res

In Apple Music on iOS below the album cover you should see the Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless symbol–touch the symbol and a pop-up will indicate the sample rate.

Think they were asking if there was a way to search for lossless or hires files, not just find out after you chose the album. At least with Spatial audio, they put a featured section. Think issue with lossless if a lot of albums are lossless now and the whole library will be by end of the year. Can see having a feature for just the hires stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, but not when looking at a page full of albums in your library. That’s where I wish we could see what they are.

AirPlay2 supports both ALAC and AAC. 16/44.1 is supported.

That is expected.

An app that sends AirPlay2 can choose to use ALAC, but in this case Apple Music chose AAC (I speculate this is a conscious choice although everyone else considers this to be a bug). 256kbps is not so bad, given that AAC is superior to MP3 at the same bitrate.

3 Likes

@wklie Peter - unrelated to AM but your suggestion to keeping volume at max made me think of a little niggle I had with my DAC which always displays 32 bits when playing Qobuz (macOS) even if bits are 16 or 24.

Turned Qobuz volume to max and lo and behold, it now always displays correct bits. On Fairytales it even turns on the MQA light.

1 Like

Yes, 256k aac isn’t bad but when I’m comparing services and trying to make a choice based on sound quality, I’m not choosing Apple Music because of this so called bug or choice. Amazon clearly sound better over AirPlay to my streamer and of course roon/Qobuz does. If I was just using Apple Music for casual listening at the office or in the car, I wouldn’t care. I’m doing that with Spotify now.

@RBO Raz -

Thats a nice feature. What DAC are you using???

Although Audio Handoff for HomePod is grouped with AirPlay2 in user settings, I have found no evidence to believe Audio Handoff is technically a part of AirPlay 2.

AirPlay2 was introduced in WWDC 2017.
HomePod Audio Handoff was introduced in WWDC 2019.

I guess it’s a Mytek.

1 Like

Indeed, if they allowed handoff to work with third party devices it would be similar to Spotify Connect in a way as the iPhone or iPad wouldn’t need to stream directly to the third party device.

It seems that the requirements for handoff to work are Bluetooth LE and WiFi.

That makes sense. Digital volume is one of the many things that can destroy bit perfect delivery.

2 Likes

I now completely and utterly agree with you :slight_smile:

Hi Robert.

It’s a Mytek Brooklyn first gen.

I use Allmusic reviews to search for new music I would like to try.
I can tell you that quite a few lesser known indie artists are still in aac and not lossless .

Hopefully it doesn’t take Apple too long to get their library all lossless .

1 Like

So the grandkids are over and want to hear Of course Billie Eilish on outside system . I have to be in the home office for a bit while the wife watches them .
Airplay from my phone is a long distance from the outside system and won’t reliably play.

This is why Airplay needs to turn into Apple Connect like Spotify Connect.

1 Like

Completely agree. An Apple Connect feature is really needed and long overdue in my opinion. It would also help overcome the AirPlay 2 limitations of only being able to stream up to a maximum of 24bit/48Hz.

3 Likes

My house is not that big . Typical two story colonial. My Orbi network system is very good. Airplay is just unreliable when you have decent distance from your system and your iPhone

Enoughs enough , moved on to top pop hits on Spotify , using Spotify connect . Too many dropouts.

I have a rather large home, but have no issues with Apple Music playing reliably everywhere on with all devices. I use eero and have the access points throughout the house.

Good for you ! I am maybe 150 feet from the system and I have problems

1 Like