Apple Music High Res

The worst part of Qobuz is if you transfer playlists from Apple,Spotify or Tidal , they all end up getting messed up. I dont have the time to correct hard rock songs being in a piano playlist It happens all the time and some of these playlists Ive created over years and are 300-500 songs long.

Transferring between Spotify , Tidal and Apple works fine so its a Qobuz matching problem.

As someone who prefers using Roon, I donā€™t tend to use AM in the home, but it works incredibly well on the mobile app in my car, or in the app on my Astell & Kern DAP. So much more reliable than the mobile Qobuz app. For that reason alone, Iā€™m gonna stay with AM in addition to Qobuz. And Spotify.

Apple Music + Marvis Pro app is all I need, at home and away from home.

1 Like

This is my experience as well. I canā€™t be bothered anymore with Qobuz + Roon. Too many problems. Iā€™ve been using AM as well as Idagio (Iā€™m into classical music), and I must say that both services work impeccably. No ā€œdramaā€, as you put it.
Iā€™ve been with Roon for the last two years (yearly subscription), but unless they fix some huge problems (especially search and, in my case, latency problems) as well as integrate more than just two streaming services, I wonā€™t renew my subscription. I donā€™t like Tidal (apparently a premium service, but they donā€™t even offer booklets for classical music), and Qobuz just donā€™t seem to get their act together (as I live in France, Iā€™ve been with them for many years ā€“ but enough is enough).

2 Likes

How do you link IDAGIO to your hifi ?

I had to use a laptop and USB cable las up

There are different ways:

1. USB (but their desktop app is slow; USB with iPad works very well)
  2. Airplay (to me the best solution)
  3. Chromecast (not gapless)

Their iPad app is great; canā€™t say anything about the Android version.

Yep thatā€™s what I finished up doing, at the time I was using a win10 tablet with a USB port so I just connected. I now use an iPad and have a Camera Kit , USB C - USB Female. I wasnā€™t particularly happy with AirPlay (to my Cambridge Audio CXN)

Thatā€™s what makes Roon - Tidal and Tidal Connect so special

I just hoped you had a ā€œtrickierā€ method

Android version is great on DAPā€™s like Hiby and Ibasso.

I am a big Apple fan but their music service works better on Android DAPā€™s than their iphone or ipad. No need for a camera connection kit and cables galore.

Just plug your headphones into a DAP like Hiby,IBasso or AK and you are good. Sampling rates work just fine .

3 Likes

thanks, not heard of Marvis, good app.

1 Like

I use Cs Music and am happy as it allows me to have an album view within playlists. I have an AM playlist with only HiRes albums playing over my iPad USB connected over VMVD1se external DAC (very happy with that); but the AM app was just a mess. Cs Music solved it and is now my goto app for AM.
That said Roon remains my home multiple room system for the moment

1 Like

Yes. Album views are great. You can have album views in Marvis Pro too and they are very customizable in terms of how many columns you want, etc. I have separate playlists with my favorite albums from each year and you can make it show not as a playlist but as albums.
I tried CsMusic but it doesnā€™t have last.fm scrobbling and I think the developer refuses to add it.
I wish Roon was better in terms of playlist management, currently itā€™s very basic.

Agree, but within Roon I solved it using a custom tagging system

And Roon still rocks over several multiroom bluesound endpoints for all those old new/cold wave alternative 80/90s tracks that are not on AM (which are surprising a lot) from my private collection.

Itā€™s a pity Marvis does not seem to use icloud as I have to update iphone and ipad to maintain both the same, unless im missing somethingā€¦.

You can export the settings under advanced to your iCloud files. Then import that file on the other device.

But yeah, manual step to update the file.

1 Like

Fun little experiment today: I had a HomePod mini come in to add a bit of Spotify Connect-like functionality to Apple Music. It works as advertised:

In iOS control center, pick the HomePod via ā€˜Control Other Speakers and TVsā€™ and set its output from the HomePod itself to any AirPlay receiver on your network (in my case, a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless II speakers called ā€˜Living Roomā€™):

In this scenario, the HomePod fetches the audio from Apple Music directly and ships it out to the LS50WII. Any device running Apple Music is now a mere remote control, like Spotify Connect.

Iā€™ve created a Shortcut to automate the process ā€“ it sets the scene via the Home app, so the procedure via Control Center outlined above is set automatically:

Apple Music is set to Lossless in the Home app. Iā€™m pretty sure the HomePod fetches the lossless files, but what is shipped over Airplay to the LS50WII is anyoneā€™s guess.

In any case, it all works great and sounds just fine. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well what is sent over airplay ? Someone should test it ,

Could the Home Pod Mini ultimately be used as a control center to play hi res over airplay to your devices ? Hmmm .

Thanks for the tip. Iā€™ve set up a similar shortcut as well for my Sonos Arc and HomePods.

2 Likes

Could you be more specific when you say that Apple Music is set to lossless in the Home app?
I do not see any option for that in the Home app.
I see it in the Music app (or rather the Music settings).