Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

Which i chose not to technically believe. If you only consider 250 programing languages, 50 data bases engines (there are more) and you still believe that there is only one way to do things, well, i don’t. I believe that technically you can find many ways to do the same implementation at the same level of usability (and is just happen that I support that believe with some limited but long experience in the filed).

Don’t worry, Roon will not integrate with Apple Music.

Roon is special, keep it separated from Apple Music will only keep Roon’s uniqueness.

1 Like

I’m past any imaginable kind of worry roon inducted or related! :crazy_face:

I don’t know much about API, databases e t.c., but as a customer, I expect at least some comments from developers. Lossless Apple Music is a big thing in a world of streaming and Roonlabs should say something about their plans and chances.

3 Likes

My point being exactly the opposite, I strongly believe that it can be done without data dumping…

I’m not implying anything about anyone, but generally speaking you’ll be very surprised to find out how deep the disconnection between developers and their own business can go. That being said, from the pure technical point of view, there are some aspects of roon application (the backup, the search, the boolean logic to name a few) that makes you at least to wonder how in the name of c# did they get to do it that way… :grinning: And other aspects (raat for example) which they did absolutely spot on.

As for the necessity part, that’s the thing, for the moment it is not a necessity. When it will be, then you’ll see that the roon deep is not so deep.

That’s the point that was made earlier, they have commented plenty of times. Their stance has never changed.

Without information and access these companies are unwilling to give them, they won’t be integrating them into Roon.

No one here is saying there isn’t an API etc. We are just highlighting that if you want a comment from Roon, scroll up and you’ll find their statement.

They have, numerous times.

1 Like

Roon haven’t said it’s impossible to use the API for Apple Music, just that it wouldn’t fit within the Roon product.

You’d be looking at a separate library with different limitations that couldn’t use all of Roons features. At that point, why not just use the Apple Music app given it’ll deliver the same experience.

My point being that I believe you can get the roon experience and features by using only the API…

And the people that have made those features, I.e. Roon, have said that you cannot.

You got that right: I cannot! :innocent:

:joy: and that was also mentioned, if someone can do what Roon does and use the API, go and do it.

The closest I have found is Marvis Pro. I added all my local files to Apple Music. That app plus Apple Music and Airplay is about as close as you can get to Roon.

Can you give a link, please?

Ok, probably i didn’t made my point clear enough: I am not talking about others, I believe roon can do it without their “deep” BS.

You did make that clear, I’m just pointing out that they have said that they don’t want to because the experience isn’t in line with what they want out of their product.

Finally, my point exactly!

I really wasn’t arguing with your point that they could use the API.

I was just saying that they’ve already said, on multiple occasions, they aren’t doing it.

When it’s supported, then it’s supported, just wait or give up.

1 Like

Talk about taking things out of context!!! crowlem added “because the experience isn’t in line with what they want out of their product”…i.e., to do so would compromise and degrade what Roon offers to it’s subscribers…

1 Like

Just a couple of thoughts here.

First, right, it’s been my understanding also that Roon have not wanted to integrate services like Amazon Music unless they get the data dumps – and there seems very little reason why Amazon or Apple would want to share those with what to them is a small player like Roon.

However, the level of interest (here in the Roon forums) in Apple High Res seems to be much higher than what Amazon Music prompted: about 800 forum comments on Apple High Res since May 1, 2021, spread across two threads (Apple Music HiFi tier to be announced and Apple Music High Res) vs. about 900 comments on Amazon Music since April 2019 (at Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution).

My impression is that many of the Roon users interested in Apple High Res (myself included) would be really happy just to have the option to play Apple Music through Roon (thus putting Roon’s interface and DSP around Apple Music) – even without the data integration. If that functionality is possible via Apple’s APIs, I wonder if Roon might feel pressure to provide it.

If they don’t, I wonder whether a lot of Roon subscribers who are mostly streaming-only might choose to just switch to Apple music instead of keeping on paying for subscriptions to Roon and Qobuz/Tidal. From what I’ve been reading in the forums, this seems to me a real possibility. I won’t, because I have susbtantial local music, and I have a lifetime sub. But I have the strong impresssion (no data – Roon would know, though) that much of the newer Roon membership is heavily streaming oriented. To such users, the Apple Music value proposition is high as compared to paying for two subscriptions…

7 Likes