ARC - port forwarding vs Tailscale - security advantage?

What I really need in step by step instructions to set up Tailscale and Roon. Sitting up plex was very easy. I j just put in the address http://nuc:3200. Works perfectly.

Did you see this?

Thanks! Iā€™ll give it a shot. Have a good weekend.

1 Like

Does Tailscale only route roon data or ALL DATA from the phone (when Tailscale is active on an iPhone)?

I have Tailscale now working on ROCK and iPhone and now disabled port forwarding.

Very easy and I donā€™t notice and major battery useage

Port forwarding worked but also happy to have now disabled it.

I think there must be a way to make this process even simpler , just have a VPN baked into Arc app and RoonOS?

But anyway it is working fine

Anyone have a simple step-by-step guide to get my Intel NUC ROCK updated to 2.1 and setup for UEFI? Iā€™m terrified of messing up my database. My music is all on a network drive and I set this up about 5 years ago. I canā€™t remember the steps I took to set up, but remember it being challenging.

It will be a completely new installation, so you must back up your database before you reinstall, then restore it after. So in this sense itā€™s the same as if you were moving from another computer to ROCK, and this guide applies:

And for the ROCK switch to UEFI specifically, fellow user @miguelito wrote this nice guide:

1 Like

I have ARC set up with Tailscale. Some days it works perfectly. With two bars on my phone. Other days I can have 4 bars and it says poor connection. Why does it do this?

Thanks!

The bars only indicate the signal strength, they say nothing about bandwidth or latency, and those donā€™t correlate completely. A base station can be close by and you have good signal, but the network may still be congested and slow.

1 Like

Thanks. I attribute it to server congestion. All I can think of.

Cellular congestion is very common especially in high population areas. Like any wireles tech it has it limits. I am in and out of decent data reception all the time on my commute to work. I can be sat in the train station with full signal strength and no data. It is the nature of it and nothing to do with ARC or Roon.

Unfortunately ARC really doesnā€™t cope well with intermittent reception and often after loosing it a few time it fails to restore completely even though it may not have a good data connection. A restart of the app will bring it back out of this stuck state.

fellas I am fried as my provider could not allow me port FW due to technical situations and lack of public IPs. https://tailscale.com does the trick.