Audiophile pipe organ recordings, please

Have you kissed and made up? With your daughter?

My only input, for my daughters weddings, was, “to whom do I make the check?”

1 Like

E9A78F32-959C-49B3-AF12-C34EAA1494BD

2 Likes

Discs 1 to 6 of this 9 disc box set are pipe organ performances.

58A6023D-8FAF-40A2-845A-E92EE1E6894B

1 Like

And for the more adventurous…

F2A2B7AF-B2DA-4EEC-A3A0-01A0D2DCA049

Hi @Grump,

thanks a lot for your three really great recommendations. I’ve just listened to the Philip Glass album (on iTunes, because it isn’t available on Tidal) and like it a lot. Do you happen to know where I can get a lossless download? Couldn’t find it anywhere… If there’s no downloadable version, I’ll buy the CD…

Hi @HWZ, I’ve looked around a bit for you but wouldn’t know, ripped this from CD myself.

P.S. The Sweelinck box is really good too, great performers and performances!

@Grump

I already have the Sweelinck box set (CD rips). Really fantastic. BTW, I’ve just ordered the Philip Glass CD. Thanks again for recommending it!!!

Enjoy it! :smiley:

1 Like

This is a classic - SAINT-SAENS Symphony #3, Organ Symphony
Charles Munch, Boston Symphony RCA LSC-2341

Jonathan Valin, executive editor, The Absolute Sound said:

This performance of the Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony) is a favorite Living Stereo release. To say that it is incredible may be an understatement. The original 3-track session tapes were used in mastering for LPs and SACDS in this Analogue Productions reissue series. Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra in Boston’s Symphony Hall. It’s more than ever the sonic blockbuster par excellence! It does not get any better than this.

Berj Zamchokian, organ of the Boston Symphony. Charles Munch, conductor

1 Like

And these notes by Larry Greenhill from August 2004 issue of Stereophile on organ recordings that highlight deep bass:

I could easily separate the deep pedal notes played by organist Jean Guillou during his transcription for organ of Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition (CD, Dorian DOR-90117), each note from the Kleuker-Steinmeyer Organ distinctly different in pitch and reproduced with power that shook my room. During the organ passages of John Rutter’s A Gaelic Blessing, from Requiem (CD, Reference RR-57CD), a similar quality of deep-pedal pitch definition allowed the organ to play with power without overpowering the choir. And the (Velodyne) DD-18 shook the room with deep, well-defined pedal notes from the Fratelli-Rufatti organ in the Garden Grove Community Church in Los Angeles, played by Virgil Fox—and from the 32Hz double-bass-and-pipe-organ note that opens Strauss’s Also sprach Zarathustra, in “Ascent,” on Time Warp (CD, Telarc CD-80186).
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/velodyne-digital-drive-dd-18-powered-subwoofer-page-2#ckPQoViBZuScLrd2.99

1 Like

This is what I call “exceptionally well-recorded”. Thanks a lot for this terrific recommendation, Bob!!!

I like this one a lot:

1 Like

Thanks! Will Check it out later.

i’m a HUGE fan of this 6 CD set of Buxtehude organ music. the recordings are sparkling. I listen to it via tidal
https://www.amazon.fr/Buxtehude-Phantasticus-Intégrale-oeuvres-complete/dp/B0024N30VC

2 Likes

Ton Koopman has nice recordings of organ works by Bach, Buxtehude and others on organ. They are available on Tidal.

4 Likes

I’d especially recommend these two as they have exceptional sound and music:

1. Midnight at Notre-Dame. Olivier Latry
    (The Rachmaninov has awesome bass)
  2. Voyages. Olivier Latry. This one’s a lot of fun
    268x0w

This one is of organ concertos (there are actually two sacds in the collection, also available as hires downloads from qubuz etc). Superb sound and music, altho the organ is a small type of organ, however it really has a wonderful sound. Just don’t expect deep bass and reverberation from a midget organ:
3. Handel Organ Concertos Op. 4 & Op. 7 Richard Egarr, AAM
MI0001159454

Also these albums are very well recorded with good music:

1. 51caXqQnP1L
  2. duruflecomplete
2 Likes

@peteAllen

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, Pete. I’ll check them out as soon as possible. Looking forward to it…

Do you know where to find a digital download (preferably, the multichannel version) of “Midnight at Notre-Dame”? I love Olivier Latry, but can’t find this one other than on physical media (SACD / CD hybrid).

As far as I know, it’s not available, not even from DG’s own site. Later DG sacds seem to be available for download, but they seem to have been slow / unwilling to get into high resolution downloads

Beautiful music!
Great performance!
Superb recording!

For more information, click here.

4 Likes