Australian Consumer Law and Roon License questions

Illegal doesn’t necessarily mean in breach of the criminal law. It can also be used to describe a tort, breach of contract or a breach of administrative law.

8 Likes

my Rock works perfectly with my NUC (7 …
8… ? I don’t remember)
Why all those claims about not working with NUC11? What do you have to do? Indexing and playing music or calculating the road to Mars?
By the way… at time of landing on Moon the computer inside Apollo was much much much weaker then an entry-level modern mobile phone… maybe with NUC7 you can even fly to Mars without problems

… and I doubt ROCK is a free open platform… are we talking about the same product?

… I’ve doubt we are just wasting time talking about b.s.

1 Like

Currently, ROCK needs legacy boot to be installed and to run.
NUC GEN11 only has UEFI boot.

An 8 bit computer, like an Atari 2600 or Coleco Adam.

well… I meant… as Rock works perfect on NUC 7…8…9…10 … why all that claiming? Are all the other NUC not available or not powerful enough?
I don’t think so :wink:

Yes, older NUCs are becoming hard to find because Intel wants to sell NUC11 now

1 Like

NUC12 is coming out soon! Every generation of Intel processors or NUC is probably equivalent to one upgrade of iphone generations? Would anyone prefer an iphone 5 to an iphone 12?

This is a false equivalence. Many earlier NUCs are more than capable of successfully running ROCK, and running it well. The same can’t be said of an iPhone 5 and the latest version of iOS.

5 Likes

It also makes the assumption that every upgrade is just that. There’s more to a device than model numbers and raw specs. IMO each generation of iOS builds the Apple wall around their “garden” a little higher.

imho older NUC are more difficult to find thanks to chinese commercial war… there is probably a very basic component inside that is not available and stop older NUC production

anyway… I’ve checked and yes… most of the NUC are now series 11, the older are just few and crazy expensive… so yes, we do not own Roon Rock but just pay to be allowed to use it… then for peole like me having lifetime subscription Ronn MUST guarantee the full support/usability even on new platforms (clearly the same platform philosophy… I’m not saying Commodore C64 and Hall9000 eh)

I’m pretty sure Roon people are already working at a software version compatible with new NUC11 and will release for the future two version… 1st for 10 and older… 2nd for 11 and newer

as the NUC8 is much more then enogh to run ROCK then they can’t abandon it… it is matter of protecting their customer’s investment and respect the planet we are living on

1 Like

There will at some point be Roon OS 2.0 and it will surely support all supported NUCs. Nobody ever said anything about abandoning anything

… as I thought right from the beginning… so we are talking about nothing

Production of older NUCs stopped because Intel ceased making them.

I assume you mean Roon. I image they will support older NUCs / Nucleus for some time, but I’m sure there will come a time that they remove support. That’s life when it comes to technology.

My 2C - I don’t believe making the same statements over and over along the lines of “just buy an older NUC7/8/9 then” are helpful here.

The old supported NUC are nigh on impossible to find in either good condition (as 99% are second hand) or for a “reasonable” price in many places.

As hardware starts to fail, that situation is going to only get worse for everyone here as dwindling stock levels drop.

This whole thread has only started because users who supported roon with lifetime subs are now beginning to become stuck with software they can’t install as originally envisaged - myself included.

It is really poor to see the lack on ongoing meaningful impetus on supporting new, or even current gen, hardware.

1 Like

Except ROCK isn’t part of the licensed software; it is provided free of charge. And, what hardware ROCK supports is clearly documented.

I agree with you. It is what it is though. I am optimistic Roon will release an updated version of ROCK, but we will have to wait.

It is also possible to put Roon server on a lite Linux package that does support UEFI.

Or on Windows or a Mac.

You can also install it on unsupported devices. My NUC is actually a lower powered Celeron unit. It doesn’t support the WiFi chip, but I have it connected by Ethernet and it works fine.

I would also imagine that Roon will bring an update that supports both legacy and UEFI.