Bad sound quality with Roon [Resolved, Ethernet Switch]

The switch is layer 2, it does not know anything about music media formats.
Although, the data volumes could be different.
Must be a really lousy switch if it made any difference transferring same source media in different formats,
i.e. if FLAC transfers works better than PCM since we’re still talking single digit Mbit/s

Besides, if the difference was in the Lumin player treating different formats differently, the issue would still be there.

Of course, I was thinking more about what happens at the Lumin end when it gets received and turned into audio.

Which should be the same with the embededd switch of the router

Edit: replaced the quote

In Lumin native OpenHome or Tidal or Qobuz playback, if a user plays a FLAC file, Lumin downloads the FLAC file via HTTP from MinimServer or Tidal or Qobuz, and caches the music track for as much as possible in a relatively large buffer. It decodes the FLAC to PCM, places the decoded PCM data in another buffer, then sends it to I2S for audio output.

In Lumin RAAT playback, if a user plays a FLAC file, Roon Core downloads the track from its music source, Tidal, or Qobuz, caches it as much as possible if necessary, decodes the FLAC to PCM and sends PCM data to Lumin via RAAT. Lumin receives the PCM audio packets via RAAT SDK, puts the data into a buffer as small as possible, then sends it to I2S for audio output. (The buffer needs to be small for UI responsiveness.)

Since FLAC is smaller, there is less network traffic. Since decoded PCM is larger, there is more network traffic. However, I don’t think amount of network traffic causes the SQ differences. To prove network traffic does not affect SQ, one may manually decode FLAC to WAV and put it on MinimServer. This way a better comparison could be made. (If there is any difference, a few users actually preferred WAV or AIFF.)

3 Likes

You quoted part of a sentence taking it out of context.
I do understand that the Lumin or any other treats different streaming protocols and formats differently.
However, that very exact same thing happens in the Lumin with the listening room switch out of the place as before, right?

Yes, regardless of whether it’s through the switch or directly connected to the router.

Absolutely, I quadruple check if I think I hear sound differences and often will recheck several days later. I have fooled myself several times. As a final check I will get a third party to listen and do switching blindly. Software is so easy to mess up the settings that most of the time differences are down to a mistake I have made.

I also think many reported differences are just wishful thinking especially after costly expenditures and effort - the desire to hear an improvement becomes overwhelming. I also believe that some boutique equipment can be more finicky than others - so some users do have differences that are due to finicky gear.

I am in Calgary. Love those Sabrinas which I hear at Sound of Music several times where they kicked B&W butt!

1 Like

I’m like a broken record to John & Tony on that vey point. :rofl:

The mid range of B&W just doesn’t work for me but I understand why they are great speakers and highly successful with such a strong following. My preferred speakers are ATC but I could happily live with Wilson.

Which B&W speakers?

I do not know if it is my imagination but I do feel the Lumin app sounding better than the Roon. This is coming from someone who absolutely prefers the Roon experience.

Why do you guys think this is the case or am I imagining things?

1 Like

Perhaps get a friend or spouse to switch the sources and see if you can’t tell which is which

It’s not your imagination! I had exactly the same experience.
LUMIN sounded more full bodied, But with my NAS (and Roon) installed in another room and connected to another power outlet than the one dedicated to my setup AND with a LPS to my router and NAS roon started to sound better.

1 Like

Roon does sound good to me, just that for the Lumin streamer, Lumin App sounded little better, this is more evident in orchestra type music for me than say with Hip Hop/EDM/Pop.

@F208Frank I am with you, when you check my posts i have already spent some time to get Roonlabs attention in this area, but without much luck.
Always when i improved something in audio chain Roon is sounding better, however also UPnP is sounding better and still better than Roon.
After some time I “gave up” and when doing critical listening I’m using UPnP and for anything else Roon. It’s a shame but it’s how it is … BTW I do not own Lumin, but PS Audio DS DAC with bridge2 ethernet streamer (roon certified).

With all respect,
Has Roon Labs worked on SQ in the last two iterations?
Anyone observed any improvement in SQ?

Surprised to hear that I thought Lumin app only sounded better on my Lumin streamer because it’s a native app and maybe it is doing something Roon is not doing.

Sound quality is spot on now for me. Not sure what else they can do.

1 Like

I enjoy my sound every second I play music despite if the Lumin app or Roon is in use. I think I hear the Lumin app is a bit more clearer than Roon sounds. Depends on the production of the music which I like better to use. Kind off the same I feel about DSD512. Untill this can be set per album I solve this by not bother and switch too much. The difference is not that huge for me.

I think if Lumin app would have the Roon experience gui and meta data style I would be satisfied too.

In my setup, Lumin app (Mimimserver) sounds more detail than Roon, closer to spinning discs from CD player, but Roon sounds warmer and less listening fatigue. Since Roon has much better user interface I just get used to Roon sound.

1 Like