Band photos from their heyday?

Thanks for that… I did not realize the band itself had changed to using “The” since the early days, when I recall Billy (or someone in the band) insisting the “The” was not a part of it… now it is! Fascinating! I guess my information is out of date - sort of like how the original poster here might wish the artwork to be :slight_smile:

Well jRiver has a system, called Theater Mode, when invoked it displays a myriad of the artist pictures for a couple of seconds each. The longer the song lasts the more images are displayed. They can be displayed on any monitor or tablet. It’s very cool. That was one of the best features.

I believe it would display the same images as if you did a browser search of The Rolling Stones, then select images. Then all the images became a slide show displayed by jRiver in Theater Mode. I doubt if copyright comes into play because jRiver must use the images under Fair Use. They won’t want to risk a lawsuit either. One can’t print them through jRiver. They are just displayed as a slide show exactly as they appear in an internet search.

Just listening to Black Sabbath’s Heaven and Hell album. The vocalist in this album was Ronnie James Dio, but the artist photo shows Ozzy Osbourne pointing his finger at me. Ronnie flips in his grave!

1 Like

One approach to solve this with proper licensing is to do a blanket license with Getty Images for band and artist photos in mass. Roon would have to do content feed integration and match and there would be cost for it but it would massively enrich the graphic element of Roon and would certainly include photos from bands/artists early days that the OP wanted. I would be happy to pay an incremental fee for this option if that was the only way roon could justify the work and cost… Roon could further enhance this capability by adding a thumbs up/down option to each photo so that over time the best photos got the heaviest play time…

Just an idea…

4 Likes

I’d like just more than one band photo to be honest. Years of looking at the exact same artist photos in Roon gets old. Some variety, where it is available, would be great!

1 Like

Getty images would solve this issue, they generally have 100s or more images for almost every band/artist…

1 Like

Interesting… I went to fanart.tv to look up The Smashing Pumpkins and the three top rated background images include the picture of Nicole Fiorentino. I voted for the other two which are band photos (both with Nicole, btw), so let’s see how long it takes Roon to pull in one of those.

fanart.tv is interesting and totally dependent on users to upload and it has very specific format requirements, i.e. sizes and resolutions. In the case of The Smashing Pumpkins, there are 10 images, most are circa 2010-2014, which is certainly not the band’s “heyday”. There are no band photos of the classic original 1990’s lineup. But of course, someone could upload one and gather enough votes and it would show up in Roon.