Best Easy Software for generate a Convolution Filter

Thank Gary and thank Roland.
Yours advices are very useful.
Just a question.

Focus Fidelity does have an automatic calibration of the sound? I understand that once that you have a result you can tweak parameters as you want.
What is not clear to me is how I can get that first result.

Anyway I think I will give a chance to Focus Fidelity.

Thank again for any suggestions.

Hi Stefano,
i‘m not quite sure what you mean by „automatic calibration“. I assume you mean something like audyssey, dirac, ypao and other solutions that are integrated into hardware and leave little to no options for the user to influence the outcome, i.e. provide a fixed target curve. Audyssey and dirac have options to design your own target curve, but are still quite limited in other aspects (for example number of filter taps).

Taking measurements with Impala is not much different from Audyssey and others. Focus Fidelity Filter Designer is quite a bit more flexible than that, but IMHO still easy to use thanks to a well made GUI. The manual also guides you through the process quite well.

In my experience you will get excellent results right from start.

Impala (the measuring tool) and user manuals for both impala and filter designer can be downloaded for free on the Focus Fidelity website. I recommend trying out Impala and take a read through the manual for filter designer to get a feeling for the software and make a decision regarding the purchase.

1 Like

Additionally, thanks to the two separate applications Impala and Filter Designer, you don’t need to go through the wohle process of measuring again for further tweaking of the filters.

I.e. if you have done your measurements right and don’t change anything relevant like speakers, speaker placement, listening position, furniture, carpets, window blinds, room treatment etc., you don’t need to make new measurements, instead you can just open your saved filter designer project, tweak settings, create new filters and save a new version of your project.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Roland

1 Like

Is it possible generate filters on MacBook and then send them, via mail, to a PC and use them in it?

Hi @Stefano_Donati
Yes, you can do this. The generated filters are *.wav files which you can send to a PC for use with Roon, HQPlayer, HLC or any other application which includes convolution.

What do you want to use those convolutions in? If Focus Fidelity can export them in a format you need, then yes, sure, it’s just files so you can email them around.

Specifically for Roon, you should be able to load them into Roon from a Mac as well.

A quick note to say that inspired by the original post, I’ve taken my own advice (ha!) and bought a licence for Focus Fidelity Filter Designer.

Having made some quick initial measurements with Impala and played with the Filter Designer for a couple of hours at the week-end, it’s produced a filter which has made a noticeable improvement to the sound of my system.

I’d say the software leads one through the process of making measurements and designing a filter in a very intuitive way without requiring a lot of arcane knowledge. Getting some quick initial results was straightforward using the defaults built into the program, but I can see there is plenty of scope for tailoring as one becomes more familiar with what it’s doing.

Needless to say, I’ll be making some better measurements and fine-tuning the filter in due course. Very happy so far.

Thanks, @Focus_Fidelity.

1 Like

Thanks @Boris and thanks @thumb5.

Also thanks @Focus_Fidelity.

I count on your help if I will have some trouble during the measurement process or during the design of the filters.

I am waiting for the mic to come.
And then I think I will go for Focus Fidelity

You’re very welcome!

You’ll probably like the results (well, as long as you can explain at least to yourself what you want to get out of it). At the very least you will see whether your wiring and speakers are good and matched.

E.g., when I measured my office system, it showed that one of the speakers was noticeably (for a microphone) quieter above 500Hz or so. Not enough to notice that “oh, that speaker is not working right” but enough to feel that the system isn’t quite living up to its potential. Since drivers seemed alright, I redid all the banana plugs on the wires (it being the office system, I used yet another pair of “looks like they match” cables from a box in the garage), made sure everything is making good contact, and on the second measurement speakers behaved as they should. Of course after that and DRC they sound nicer (yes, piano sounds like a real piano), but even with bad contacts Focus Fidelity brought them up to “this is quite acceptable” level.

1 Like

@Stefano_Donati You can always send an e-mail to our support address or message via the form on the website as well.

2 Likes

Hi
Can you tell me which are the softwares that I have to download and where I can find them?
I have a UMIK-1.
So, i suppose, I have to start with mesuraments.

Final scope is to create filters and use them in Roon

You’ll find Focus Fidelity downloads here: Focus Fidelity - Digital Room Correction.

Impala is the program for taking measurements, and Filter Designer imports the measurements and designs the filter. You can then export the filters as a set of .wav files which Roon can import to create a convolution.

1. Download the calibration file or your UMIK’s serial number from MiniDSP.
  2. Download Impala from Focus Fidelity at the link @thumb5 provided.
  3. Take measurements (make sure to load the calibration file in Impala).
  4. Open measurements in Filter Designer itself and have fun.
1 Like

@Boris_Molodyi @thumb5 thank you.

On the resources page I have seen this Convolution Software

HLC by Accurate Sound

And I have thought it was necessary.

Not if you just want to use your filters in Roon.