Best Practice for two households or even three

How about install ipfire and you can have a private VPN with net to net connection ?
Any reason this will not work ?

Looking just at the license, what is the process to transfer a single license from one system to another? Does the user have to issue some command to un-license the currently running Roon Core before heading off to their other home so that, once they arrive, the Roon licensing backend will see that there is an unused license on the account that can now be used for the other server or is it more of a “pull” operation, just close down the currently active Roon Core, head to the new location, and try to license the other Roon Core at which point you get a message something like “licence already in use, licensing this system will stop the other system from working. Do you want to proceed?”?

I ask because I’m concerned about possible consequences of forgetting to release the license from my active server before setting off on a long trip to the destination only to discover my one and only Roon license is locked to the server that is now 6,000 miles away and will be powered off for 3 or 4 months.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be problem. See this KB article

1 Like

James_I
It’s the audio endpoint settings being overwritten that is most problematic. Unless you have identical endpoints at each location (including computer and idevice names, desired dsp settings, everything) you’re going to have to repeat the setup and configuration of each endpoint after each restore. Grouping zones, the whole bit.

Is there no way to get the database to a state where its endpoints are the superset of all the endpoints in both HomeA plus HomeB such that, whenever the Roon Core is running in HomeA it simply thinks all the HomeB endpoints are powered off and whenever it is in HomeB it thinks all the HomeA endpoints are powered off? (It doesn’t have a concept of HomeA and HomeB of course, it just sees sets of endpoints going on and off line which in reality happens to map to the user moving it between locations.) I assume that would have to be careful to make sure all the IP addresses for all endpoints were unique but is there something else that kills that idea?

On the above I’m assuming that the routers in each home are set up to provide the same local LAN environment, e.g. router at 192.168.0.1 in both locations, Roon Core on a system at .2, etc and all endpoints on that same subnet.

2 Likes

Thanks Brian. Yup, that looks a solid and trouble-free process.

I confess though that reading some of this thread I’m now considering installing my Roon Core on my main Windows 10 Desktop PC since I do also move that between my two locations anyway (I have mouse/keyboard/monitor/printer/scanner duplicated at both locations so it is only an i7 NUC that I am carrying in my hand luggage). There are reasons I preferred to have a separate system for the Roon Core but maybe I need to go a bit more deeply into the pros and cons there.

1 Like

I think this is possible but would require that the primary core be brought to the second house at least once?

I don’t know what a Roon installation (core) on Windows all has in the registry, but on Linux there is no such thing as a registry. In Linux, a file is a file, and therefor it should be possible to take your Roon installation, meaning all the support files and the database containing the meta data, and tar it up (archive into a compressed file) and copy it to anywhere you want to. The media (the audio files) are a separate thing, and needn’t be part of it and can be replicated separately.

Licensing isn’t a problem in that starting the Roon core more than once on more than one system will result in Roon asking you if you want it to run on the one system that you just started it on last, as that link above points out.

Reviving this thread because I’m now facing the same issue. In an ideal world, there would be a way to sync a Roon library between two Roon servers, but reading the thread that does not seem exactly possible. I’m currently planning to carry a small solid-state Roon server between the two locations, but I’m not sure how that will work with the two different network configurations & sets of endpoints at the two locations. I guess I’ll find out…

It works but is a hassle. Restore backup is the way to sync them, but restore backup also overwrites endpoints and storage locations. Best to map storage drives identically at both.

My approach to this is quite simple… My RoonServer is installed on a Lenovo nano M90n and music on an external 4TB USB drive. The M90n is tiny - not much bigger than the USB drive. I simply take both M90n and USB drive with me. This could certainly work with a NUC as well. When going between one house and another where both have a solid LAN and audio gear, this is pretty much just plug and play. When going on vacation (while, driving to go on vacation) I also pack a pair of powered speakers and an endpoint. If flying somewhere on my own, I’ll take the M90n, USB drive and a pair of bluetooth IEMs. It all works as long as I have reasonable internet access. I even got it to work when having to use my iphone as a hotspot for internet access.

It’s a hassle-free solution with just minor annoyance at having to hook them up wherever I go. Of course, this offers no means of using Roon concurrently in more than one location.

1 Like

Ended up getting a fanless Zotac CI662 nano with a 4TB SSD for my core. I carry it between the two locations, both have excellent network. Roon database backups are not ideal. I have a NAS as backup target at location #1, but at #2 I have to rely on my Macbook as backup target.

1 Like

Is it running Rock?

No, Linux RoonServer on Ubuntu Server 20.04.1. I’ve been my own Linux sysadmin for a long time, and I find it easier to manage backups and file sync between my various servers, NAS, etc this way.

1 Like

I have gone a different way. I use Roon in three houses. I add new music to my local server and also add it to a Dropbox folder. The I arrive at the next house I deauthorise and reauthorise, copy my files from Dropbox but a key difference is that I do not try and duplicate the environments. I favourite different songs, add albums from Roon Radio and favourite those tracks. It is thus a real delight when I turn up and find tracks that I really like that I have not heard for months.

1 Like

I only have one house. Problem solved.

8 Likes

I have this problem though the situation is I have two systems in the same house. I want to be able to use Roon on both of them. I have a nucleus plus which is core. I have a Innuos in the other system which is set up as a Roon player (or endpoint). Is there a way to run these without having to authorize and deauthorize every time I switch from one room to the other? I can change my setup if needed, but I am not sure what would make the most sense with Roon. What I would like is to be able to turn on either system and have Roon show up and run the same (or close) each time. I don’t need them to run simultaneously. I suppose the NAS storage idea might work for me.

Why are you using two cores in the same house? I think this would be the only reason you have to de-authorize.

It wasn’t planned to have two cores but some of my gear is older so I am trying to figure out what will allow both systems to co-exist using Roon.

A single Roon Core supports an arbitrary number of zones (limited only by hardware resources). Have you tried using this multi-zone functionality? If so, what about it is not working for you?

I manage nine zones from my 7th gen Intel i5 NUC, some with significant DSP usage. Could not be happier.

I was trying to use two roon cores in the same house. I have at this point the nuclues+ running the core and the other core ( innuos) running as a roon player accessing the core on the nucleus. This works but it would be nice to be able easily run one system independent from the other without two full licenses.

This wasn’t intentional but now I have two cores so I configured the systems this way. Is there an endpoint that sounds equal to the nucleus+ (or innuos) that I could use as a player?