Best quality audio format to rip my cd’s to my roon nucleus

The benefits of ripping are mainly having your own digital copy and not having to rely on constant recurring streaming charges (especially if you are on a capped bandwidth internet connection) …unless of course you are already streaming using the likes of Q/S/T etc

2 Likes

The way I see it, the main purpose of ripping is to back up you physical media, which is subject to breaking/fading/getting lost/etc.

I would add that my purchasing pattern for physical media has changed since subscribing to a lossless streaming service. I now tend to go after content or masters that are unlikely to appear on a streaming service. For example, reissues (often out-of-print) from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Audio Wave XRCDs (incredible sound), SACDs, blu-ray audio discs, Classic Records DAD and HDAD (DVD-Audio) discs, etc.

3 Likes

I just get what I like, on CD (promptly ripped) or red book download, hi-res only if that’s all they have (like Bandcamp). It supports artists, it’s mine forever, regardless of what happens with the service, and I can stream locally, regardless of what happens with my internet.

5 Likes

XLD
FLAC
Yate

My .02