Best Sounding Roon Endpoint - Raspberry Pi (w/o "Hat") vs Google Chromecast Audio

Martin,

Thanks for input. What would you suggest for filtering out the jitter. My understanding this would be optical output to the DAC. Thanks again for your help.

Greg

With a well-engineered DAC I wouldn’t be too concerned with Jitter. In fact, I don’t think jitter is particularly bad with the Raspberry Pi anyway1.. The CCA has excessive jitter2., but even so jItter has to be pretty bad to begin to hear its affect anyway.

A potential issue with the RPi is noise or interference on the USB side. The model 3B shares the same bus for Ethernet and USB and this sometimes causes audio artefacts. Regarding noise, again I think this is a non-issue for a well-engineered DAC.

1. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-intel-i7-pc-and-raspberry.html
<sup2. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

1 Like

Martin thanks for the additional input and the link. The link was very interesting.

Greg

1 Like

You may find this article of interest, including examples of (extreme) noise jitter and periodic jitter–but you have to guess which is which.

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/what-does-jitter-sound-like

PS. Sorry if this is going OT.

I have a hatless RPi circa 2017 that serves an old Tivoli table radio (2003 vintage)

I have a hatless Rpi 4b that I’ve used with a Schiit Modi 3 around the house. Not quite Schiit Gumby class but excellently good. Just come off the USB out to the Modi 3.

There is no sense of dropouts, wow or flutter. Recommended for students, travel, and portable use about the house. No hat needed and no DAC needed for casual listening with low resolution table radios, etc.

Martin thanks for the additional link. Found it to be very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

1 Like

I played with roon a few years ago and loved it but love plexamp and plex price so as funds were low i stuck with that. Recently funds improved and i ran a roon server trial on my synology 720+ NAS with a pi 3 roon endpoint. I have a bunch of GCCA pucks and nest speakers around too so the combination gives me roon all round the house and best roon for my main system via the pi. In many A B comparisons between PI and GCCA the Pi just gave me much more depth, listenability, less congestion, more interesting. better. The Pi was also better than my android tablet running USB Audio Pro via USB to the same Dac (RME ADI2 FS). I’d recently got back into vinyl and bought a gyrodec which made me question digital a lot…then i switched to ROON/Pi and it made me question the sound faff and cost of vinyl…then i put an SME V arm on the gyrodec and that comfortably outperformed any of my digital stuff. The digital analogue arms race continues. Still, for £30 for a pi and a quality dac and a few quid a month for roon it’s very very good and very close…sometime better…sometimes not quite…always less faff :slight_smile: Choice is good. Dogma is dumb. Try and see what you like.