Better album browser please

No, no, no, @Geoff_Coupe! I’d like my Roon tuned! I want a Roon tuning kit! Software and hardware (Nucleus+ GTI M3 Turbo Intercooling?). Imagine how cool that would be! Plugins, plugouts, plugunders, plugovers… y e a h ! :wink:

2 Likes

Runs away screaming…

1 Like

Oh come on… You want some of that Old Spice of mine to fight the Diesel smell, don’t you? :wink:

Just joking and not meaning to insult anyone, but I agree with the preference of a clean product, not a christmas tree like some software already mentioned here. That doesn’t say there isn’t any room for improvement. There always is, and I can’t wait for the UI overhaul. Although I’m afraid I will have to for a while… :wink:

2 Likes

As with any good product, Roon is as as much (or even more) about what it is not as what it is. Roon clearly have a vision of what this product should or should not be – and develop the product accordingly.

That is not to say they are tone deaf to community requests: quite a few have made their way into Roon, more often than not in a different / better / smarter way than originally requested.

I quite like the oftentimes eloquent en intelligent discussions about functionality, even if the specific request does not exactly tickle my fancy. Requests are always considered, sometimes entertained, at other times rejected. But in the vast majority of cases, they are important to the development of the product, if only for offering different perspectives.

Things get a bit problematic now and then when requests are accompanied with a false sense of entitlement (‘This was requested two years ago and it is still not implemented’), but such is life.

While I doubt that Roon will ever give you the jet fighter cockpit you long for, in the long run you may very well end up with the tools that allow you to land a man on the moon.

3 Likes

I gave up on j river precisely because you needed a pre-flight check before take off. And upgrades were a nightmare, they kept adding in video related features which I had no need for. Also, the price kept going up. I used it for years but went to roon without a backward glance.

1 Like

I keep jriver around…just upgraded to mc24 lic but I don’t think I have had it running for more than a few mins in the past 18 months or so…certainly not since I installed Roon. I might use it for tagging tho if I ever needed it.

It’s running headless…so video and photos don’t apply.

Roon give me all I need without having to worry about where things are. If I need to locate them I have the file info available and plenty of other options os based to browse.

$20 plays $120

My maths is a bit rusty…

When the audio side is stable and perfect why change it. Yes a UI change but if it ain’t broke …

Mike

Ditto 10 year user I will keep paying my $20 .

I use it for tagging ang playing hi def as my hardware is not RAAT capable

Mike

And … sometimes not… cough cough **tags ** cough cough

Only if you get it during the limited timed release pre-order, otherwise it jumps to 30 to 40 dollars, even if you owned the previous editions.

I realy don’t know how many times I have to tell that I do not like J.river.Never did, never will. It’s one of the worst players out there in my opinion. I really don’t know why everytime I state something about the user interface people are so afraid I want to turn it in to something bloated like j.river. Absolutly not, in fact totally the opposite. Roon looks way too much like j.river in various aspects, at least in the aspect i do not like about Roon I do like the parts that don’t resamble j.river though.

1 Like

It seems that Roon has solved this problem for me … taking too long to find a specific CD or choosing something to play. I rarely use browse when I want to listen to music. That’s Roon’s USP; it’s changed my old listening habits and opened up a new experience: introducing me to something new or a forgotten gem.

Indeed I don’t understand some of the criticism. It’s straightforward to browse for EP, singles, MP3s, TIDAL and so on. You can also display album type in the browser (see Preferences > General.

My preference is to keep things pretty much as they are. I concede that there are differences between overview and the view all (browse) pages and I would like to see the rating and release date on browse … but more would be clutter.

But that’s exactly what I mean, some info like release date, rating etc, prefarably user defined. It really doesn’t make things more cluttered then they are now.

Some people would like to see an DSD or MQA tag on all albums in the browser wich doesn’t interest me but fine if others want it. But some more info then just a picture and a name is usefull in many occasions.

So I guess this is what people refer to when they are talking about less cluttered, clean, aestatic ?
Pretty awfull isn’t it? Simplification is not allways better.

1969_albumGrid

Not really… There’s a severe lack of negative space and Artist/Album names MIA prevents the primary purpose of a browser: ID-ing what you’re looking at.

This is better:

Well yes, exactly spot on. And therefore some more info then just artist name and title is of much help on exact the thing you are pointing at. ID-ing, the main purpose of it all.

My exact main complaint about the current view, too cramped, too cluttered, too less info.

I guess you lost me here, Sjef – I’ll leave it at this. De gustibus…

It’s not only a matter of taste. But you are right, that’s allways hard to discuss.