Bowers Formation Duo - Roon supported

You may be right but do they really look like £4k worth of speaker?

I guess you could ask a similar question of the Dutch & Dutch 8C’s and Kii3 which are also standmounts and even more expensive…

Like these, the DSP crossover and D-to-A and driver amplification is all in the control of B&W designers, so it’s worth is in the listening.

Having owned the passive LS50’s with numerous amps I didn’t think the LS50W were worth the higher price based on pics… but that all changed on listening… when the KEF engineers have full control of the amplification of the drivers, it’s a different beast.

I’ve tried to stop judging based on pics now… need to listen.

1 Like

The only DSP active speakers I’ve demo’ed and felt really disappointed in have been the Meridian DSP 5200SE and 7200SE. I heard the 8000SE at a show and felt disappointed but that was a hotel room so I’ll disregard that (although these speakers are supposed to solve room issues apparently).

It’s not really the price tag that left me disappointed but actually the performance…

On the other end of the price scale, I heard the B&O Beolab 90 and that performance left my jaw on the floor… amazing. But I’d need to win the lotto… and the looks would definitely need some explanations to all visitors :grin:

When I’m talking about performance, I’m obvious only talking about subjective things here. Just my subjective opinion based on personal preferences, tastes etc - I don’t have any expertise on objective performance.

But I’ve been left impressed with Beolab 90, D&D 8C, Kii3, Devialet Phantom Gold, LS50W, Adam Audio S3V, Barefoot MicroMain 27 monitors, Genelec Ones and a couple others I can’t remember. All have differences but all left me impressed in some way.

4 Likes

Love YouTube :grin:

Picked up the Wedge over the weekend and I’ve been very happy with it. Sounds great and setup is easy. Only drawback is that it can only hold one connection at a time. i.e., it connects to Roon simply and easily over WiFi but if my wife wants to send music to it via Google Home and GPM (don’t come at me… :smile: ) you need to reconnect it to the Bluetooth signal (make it discoverable, etc.) and it disconnects from Roon. Would be nice if it remained connected to both and you could use the app to switch between them. Minor, but…

All in all, very happy with it.

Can you compare the Wedge to anything else eg Bluesound Pulse Mini 2i or Naim Mu-So gen 2?

Sure. I auditioned the Bluesound Pulse Mini 2i and, while I like it, I wanted something that moved a little more air as I’m using it in a family room that leads to an open kitchen. I think the Mini would be perfect in a bedroom but, for my purposes it just wasn’t enough. The other note is that the Wedge produces a stereo image as it has two mid-range and tweeters angled out so I think it sounded closer to a small bookshelf setup. The Bluesound sounds more like a high-end portable speaker. I hope that helps!

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Formation Audio box does MQA? Thank you.

These have built in DAC’s right? Do you stream directly from your core to your Wedge without an external DAC? I can’t find any info online about the built in DAC on the wedge.

Hello @Richard_Lane,

Yes, the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Wedge has a built in DAC, along wired and wireless streaming capabilities. The Wedge should appear in Roon as a Roon Ready playback zone once you have powered it up and connected it to your home network.

-John

no MQA support

John, is the Formation Audio wifi bridge also Roon ready/tested? Not seeing anything about that.

Do you mean this?
https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/formation/audio

yes that’s it

Says it’s roon ready.

Hello @TomJ,

The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Audio is a Roon Ready device.

-John

1 Like

:laughing:

i received my pair just in time.
i live in northern california.
i am now capable of putting out 2 :fire:
…and sounding great whilst doing so.