Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

8 posts were split to a new topic: Snappy responsiveness lost since build 1169

@SukieInTheGraveyard : Yes, I voted, and let me know if I can do something else to help with this topic.

Nailed it.

I used to read Digg until they forgot why people were there in the first place, feels like Roon is losing its true north.

I want a library consolidator not a library gatekeeper.

8 Likes

This saga reminds me very much of the Evernote situation where they ignored their users complaints about no offline notes access which resulted in a death spiral for the product. They recently have relented as shown here Evernote now lets users access their notes offline in its app but many are suggesting ā€œtoo little too lateā€. An interesting analogy for the current most requested Roon feature represented by this thread.

6 Likes

User is suspended for misrepresenting and reposting previously moderated content:

A month ago a post of mine in this thread was flagged for pointing out that other software does not require an always on internet connection and concluding that this was not a requirement for playing local files. Since Roon 1.8 was able to do so I also concluded the new requirement was a business and development choice on the part of Roon. Roon moderators consider these statements opinions and not fact.

1 Like

Please add my complaint to the ā€œfewā€. I have a local library PRECISELY BECAUSE internet service sometimes goes out. You only gave me about two hours before bricking. I paid for a LIFETIME membership.

9 Likes

Just checking, did you hit the vote button at the top of the thread?

and again: Internet gone ā†’ roon no function: still no mercy :sob:

1 Like

Well, I have turned off the renewal for my account.

Itā€™s been real :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that one, canā€™t see ā€˜Lifetimeā€™ coming anytime soon at this rate.

The really mind boggling thing about this, is apparently the sacrifice of losing offline access to our music was to improve the search functionality, which ironically is pretty poor.

Yet Iā€™m sitting here thinking ā€œitā€™s OK, weā€™ll have CarPlay access soon and thatā€™s coolā€

Wait, Tidal has CarPlay, and offline access to my library AND a decent search functionā€¦Iā€™m still paying for Roon to effectively reduce the functionality of Tidalā€¦am I missing something?

2 Likes

I once voted for the mobile access.

After a couple of month I have to confess I never used ARC. I did try it but after it sucked the battery of my iPhone 13 in no time I gave up and did not try another time.

Whatever functionality relies on cloud services it did not solve any performance issues locally so far. This holds true for core and all remote apps on MAC and iOS at least. Scrolling is stuttering as never before. I cannot detect any improvements for performance and resource usage since 2.0. It needs some inefficient code to have an iPad Pro M1 used as a remote control getting hot and suck out the battery in an hour.

Should I invest my valuable time now in DSP and digital crossover with multi-channel DAC and assume roon as the base component in my setup? Spend money for additional hardware? Rather not - I am very skeptical about potential future decisions by the Roon team that may invalidate all such concepts.

Iā€™m sorry for my vote to mobile access. I prefer Qobuz providing sufficient performance if Iā€™m traveling and ARC did not fulfill my expectations (Iā€™m not traveling with multiple power banks).

5 Likes

Hi Ronny,

It needs some inefficient code to have an iPad Pro M1 used as a remote control getting hot and suck out the battery in an hour.

I think your problem is off Topic and likely to be a local issue which is worth adding to the support thread (with additional information).
I am also running Roon on iPad Pro and havenā€™t experienced any battery issues? Have you checked battery usage stats to verify that it is Roon/Arc that is the source of the problem?

If itā€™s confirmed that Roon Remote is the issue you could try deleting the client & reinstalling (Assuming you havenā€™t tried that already). Sometimes the basic checks work & resolve the issue.

@moderators it might be worth moving the post to the support category

The addition of streaming services to my local library was exactly the reason I chose Roon. Not the other way around.
My local library is the core of my collection. Precisely because I donā€™t want to become dependant on cloud services.

Please bring back local search, this canā€™t be complicated!
And yes, I accept that I wonā€™t have all the fancy search and information possibilities that the cloud based search brings.
Just let me play the stuff that I own and already paid for!

EDIT: I did hit the vote button :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It is exactly about offline functionality which is no longer available. There is still a ā€œnot on roadmapā€ tag on it while the topic receives an all time high for votes. Iā€™m telling the community what I think about it. If someone likes to have a car - no one should think about taking his legs in exchange. This is exactly what roon did to roon. I do not trust roon enough anymore to put in more money in roon dependend solutions.

@moderators move it or delete it as you like.

4 Likes

I like your analogy.

ā€¦and I understand how you feel but you refer to an overheating/battery problem which an issue which is worth further investigation by support, and doesnā€™t require any financial investment, YMMV.

How can Arc handle being offline from the Core (and the rest of the Internet), but the Core can not handle being offline from the Internet? Is my Core less capable than my phone?

edit:
Does this also mean that if my Internet is down, I can use Arc in offline mode, but not on my local network (Since the Core is inoperable without access to Internet)?

It will be interesting to see how an eventual merge of Arc and the remote app will solve this conundrum.

Letā€™s imagine a core made of two parts:
(1) a 2.0 part which uses internet access for improved functionality and
(2) a 1.8 part which does the job in offline mode.

Does it make sense?

It doesnā€™t make any sense at all. None.

The core is one piece of code. In that code there are implementations for all overlapping functionality that are different.

Iā€™ve searched and realize that after Roon Core 2.0 Roon wonā€™t work without internet access, thus this suggestion.

Here in the US East Coast weā€™ve had a huge cold front come through, knocking out power and internet to millions. Weā€™re lucky, our power is on but our internet is out (tapping this on my phone).

How nice would it be to have a warm fire, read a good book, meanwhile listening to my music on my local Roon library. Canā€™t do that. First World Problem, I know.

(and canā€™t use my phone as a hotspot on my mesh routers, for those of you rushing to tech solutions)

Suggestion for future Roon: a toggle switch in Settings that is something like ā€œUse Local Library Onlyā€ to allow users to use Roon off-line in ā€œemergencyā€ situations like this.

2 Likes