Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

Thanks. Can’t say I’m happy about this. I would definitely like Roon to keep having basic offline functionality. Isn’t it possible to make Roon fall back on offline search (exclusively my local library) when the internet is down.

I also never quite understood why the Home page (stats and all) stops working when the internet is slow or down - isn’t a great deal of this data stored on the local Roon Server?

1 Like

First: I’m very pleased with Roon ARC, allthough it was also possible to use a VPN (more complex). On the other hand: it must be possible to use Roon on your local network even when internet is down. So I’m in favor of the situation that you also can use Roon on your local network for say 30 days without internet access. So I vote +1.

3 Likes

Basic library access would be great. Even if it means things such as search functionality, recommendarions etc. are greyed-out.

How long could it run before a call home is required for license purposes? 24 hours, a week?

+1 please - so I can stay on the journey in Africa!

1 Like

Did you actually vote at the top though?

1 Like

thanks - user error!

3 Likes

Was very excited to hear about ARC. Equally disappointed to hear about the no local access.
I love using Roon locally when I go to the cabin to specifically to get disconnected from the internet and any type of cell phone service. I don’t understand how/why local access left when ARC came?

2 Likes

I very rarely have an internet outage, so this is not really an issue for me. However, I’m very disappointed that Roon dropped the ball on this. Roon ARC can play downloaded music without internet connectivity, but local Roon can’t?

6 Likes

Ouch. I was afraid of that. We had several days this Spring where our power was out for most of the day. It happens often enough that some years ago we had a transfer switch installed and bought a generator. Our ISP’s back-up power only lasts so many hours. We also had a couple of days this year when a major connectivity issue took out all connectivity to our community… and when I say ‘all’, I mean cable, telco and mobile. I’ll have to find an alternative to Roon for those days, since, ironically it seems, that is a great time to kick back, relax and listen to some music without distraction or interruption.

This feature is not currently on the roadmap, but feel free to vote if you want.

Reopening this because it turns out closing it makes the forum software not allow voting either, which is not the intention.

8 Likes

Voted voted

Pleas bring it back… :wink:

Please bring make local files accessible without the Internet. My vote here.

Danny, By the way, Jamie got back to me asking for me details on my issue with accessing my NAS files using Legacy 1.8. Legacy 1.8 will not read my Synology NAS files. Just in case you respond and recommend for me to revert to Legacy 1.8.

By the way, is there any possible way to get hold of an spk file for DSM7 Synology which is the latest version prior to 2.0?, but not the Legacy version. Do you hold a directory of earlier releases of spk files?
Also, if I used that, will the 1.8 app work?

Voted. Please bring back the ability to play our music even without connection to external servers.

I vote for ROON playing without internet connection

Have you clicked the Vote button at the top of the thread? Just saying you vote for it in a post is not enough, you need to register your vote…

My bad. Got it.

Thank you

1 Like

I vote for ROON playing without internet connection

1 Like

Even when online search might not work, filtering albums or artists based on the database should work.

Even Google phones and iPhones which are inherently online in nature still has an Airplane Mode and could work in Airplane Mode. Can you search things online when in Airplane Mode? No, at least not that I know of. But, you could still browse, search, open or read on a document that you already downloaded to the phone, and you could even work on a document and then synchronize later when the phones are back online. We need that Airplane Mode.

Thank you.