Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

I guess that would work. For those with internal NUC drives it is probably possible to use the internal NUC drive (or its NAS backup) as a share mounted over the LAN - won’t be super fast but I guess good enough. If on wifi probably don’t go crazy with hires :slight_smile:

No iPhone experience, but according to this it’s just as easy as on Android:

Then of course you need a router that allows that.

The other option is plugging a USB wifi dongle into the NUC and connecting to the phone as the wifi hotspot. The problem there is that you might be sending quite a few dongles back and forth from Amazon until you find one that works at all and then works well. Described here:

Look for Linux support in the Amazon comments, but this isn’t completely reliable as the Chinese manufacturer may well change the chipset in what looks like the same dongle

285 votes from ~250K users… just give up, the decision has been made, it is what it is.

Well by that argument no feature suggestion would ever be implemented. It is the request with by far the most votes in the shortest time.

Anyway, nobody complained in these latest posts today. We were being constructive with alternatives that work within Roon.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s kinda how it is too :wink:

But not really. Before that, offsite access was the biggest and it was implemented. Just a pity that it was immediately replaced and topped by the opposite :smiley:

And frankly I am impressed by progress lately, first ARC, now Wikipedia. It’s all very cool.

When using just a local library and not using any tidal or qobuz… do I really need references to other things?

I guess I am thinking too small. I’m only thinking about finding a song in my local library and playing it. There are 2 things that need Roon to do for me (as I’m only a local library!)…

1. Find a song on my hard drive.
2. Play it!

The rest are just shiny things.

7 Likes

Yeah I answered that in the paragraph that preceded your quote.

Surely you see that a search can also be conducted to find things you didn’t know. It’s why Google is one of the largest companies on Earth :slight_smile:

Makes sense, but it doens’t make sense that Roon can’t play a local file.

No internet. No google.
I can see that, as the main ingredients to google are internet and web browser.

No internet. No music.
I can see that if you rely on streaming from online sources.
But with my favorite collection of songs at my immediate disposal… No internet. No music. Well that just doesn’t make sense.

If you had no internet access for an extended period.

Would you rather…

a. Only local search, or even no search at all, and be limited to play locally stored music.

b. No search function at all, and no ability to play any music at all.

I’m not a programmer, but I’m thinking the way Roon was written… they’ve made it difficult to turn off things without breaking other things. Hence no offline mode. The act of playing music is not (let me rephrase that…) appears to not be top priority in Roon, it has become second to the discovery… They both seem to play a very important role in the joy of music, but I do not think one should trump the other. And right now with Roon… Discovery has taken the lead. Which is too bad for the people like me that just want to listen to what I’ve already Discovered.

5 Likes

I agree with that. I was just saying that search in a very general sense can do more than finding a known song. For instance, it might be nice to find context for a search on the internet even if you can’t play a search result because you only have local. I don’t even know if Roon does that now, but just in principle.

My position on offline play was stated annoyingly often above :wink: (in short: I’m afraid that without at least a very simple fallback for offline play, the complaints will remain)

3 Likes

It’s ridiculous, imagine ls or dir not working if you don’t have internet! My file is right there, I can’t find it or play it without the internet?!

10 Likes

:joy:
10char1010

It’s like saying you can’t drive to the grocery store because onstar and navigation is not enabled, without them you can’t discover new things on the way to the grocery store that you really didn’t need help finding in the first place, but at any rate… stay home you can’t leave without it.

9 Likes

It is going to get worse. In the near future Your fridge won’t work if internet is down and you won’t be able to unlock your car. And your kids get angry at you, but that is a different case.

2 Likes

True, I’ve been adding HomeKit lights, and recently found out I can’t even control them without internet :joy:

2 Likes

In so many cases technological advances are great and terrible at the same time. The internet in itself is such a thing. A fridge connected to the internet is only terrible, but that is just imho. :wink:
I don’t give my opinion to your lights :wink:

I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but there are actually four factors at play here, and maybe others I’m not thinking of:

1. Our own Internet connection needs to be up.
  2. The Internet connection to the cloud server needs to be up.
  3. The servers powering the cloud instances need to be up and running (cloud hosting companies occasionally have issues).
  4. Roon’s own code on the cloud servers needs to be up and running (depending on how their backend is set up).

Any of these failing will remove access to our own music. Technology isn’t 100% perfect–that’s just the nature of the beast. I’ve “broken” my share of network connections and servers over time!

At least limited functionality offline is a must-have for me to consider moving on from version 1.8.

Voted! :heavy_check_mark:

9 Likes

+1

Being able to play music without internet connection is very important !

Please make it possible again !

4 Likes

+1
Please, please bring back function without compulsion of internet, maybe without search for the time of internet down.

4 Likes

I don’t know if you voted, but be aware that posting +1 is not a vote. The vote button is at the top

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes