Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

Would you mind giving a little more detail about how this requires folder browsing?

Also, two other clarifications:

First, the “find tracks by path” info I linked to above is a way to locate specific files or folders from within in Roon – it’s not meant to be a full fledged file browser, but it does address that one use case, which was pretty frustrating prior to 1.3.

Also, combining path filtering with our redesigned Tags feature allows for powerful filtering and sorting functionality that’s simply not possible in a folder browser.

For example, if I had a folder called Music From HDTracks, I could filter the path browser for that path and tag all the tracks as Music from HDTracks. That tag will now be available across Roon, letting me shuffle all the albums in that folder, or letting me browse the albums from that folder, artists with music in that folder, etc.

This can also be combined with Focus, so I can see “60’s Jazz from HDTracks” or “HDTracks Downloads sorted by Release date”. This is way more powerful than a folder browser, although I understand it doesn’t preclude that functionality. Expect this area of functionality to get even more powerful with some upcoming changes we have planned for “smart” tags, and Focus.

The second point is just about priorities – there’s nothing really wrong with a folder browser, but building it takes man weeks or months that could be spent on other priorities. Browsing files is something Roon was designed to supplant, and spending a month or two building that functionality almost certainly means more requests to expand and improve the folder browsing functionality.

It also means people accustomed to file browsing spend less time exploring the powerful sorting and filtering functionality of Roon. None of this is to say we’ll never build a folder browser, just trying to give you guys some insight into why it’s probably not a sensible use of resources at the moment.

All of that said, the feedback is truly appreciated, and we’re always listening guys. Thanks all!