Bryston pulled support for RAAT in last release [solved, Bryston released firmware proper]

Thanks, Craig! I’m well aware of this option and, last time I’ve checked (3-4 weeks ago), wasn’t working for me. Roon sees the BDP as a SqueezeBox end point but nothing comes out of my speakers. FWIW, my BDP is connected to a Naim DAC (SPDIF). I’m not sure if something changed since my last attempt but I can try again, tonight.

PS SqueezeLite works fine with LMS…

@Carmen_Marin Sounds like LMS is still running or a Squeeze device is “confused”. Cycling LMS - starting, then stopping - solved a similar problem I was having (related to JRiver I believe).

@Krutsch Same here with the gapless imperfections and SQ, The differences, to me personally, are not enough to keep me from using Roon in this configuration until direct integration is complete.

I’m loving Roon and this new-to-me BDP-1. Can’t wait for the Roon cert! Should be fantastic.

Thanks Craig. I am aware that LMS must be stopped and even after resetting both, computer and BDP, it still doesn’t work.

Any news on this? The Audiocircle forum mentions there’s still a long way to go. This sounds less hopeful than earlier messages,…

1 Like

I saw that on AudioCircle, as well.

It could be that Bryston is busy with BDP-Pi, but I was disappointed to read their response of “…long way off.”

I have basically abandoned my BDP-1. I am now using Roon directly to my Devialet, and did not look back…

Found Bryston attitude a bit myopic. I got tired of hacking at MM, MPad and other rather primitive MPD interfaces.

I ran a poll on AudioCircle on this topic: what are BDP interfaces in use. About 1/4 of their customers are using Bryston’s interface, with the remainder spread across different MPD apps (MPaD being the about 60% of the use base).

I have spent (well, wasted) a ton of time posting very detailed defect reports on MM, hoping it will get better, but they don’t fix anything significant. For example, MM can’t really handle multi-disc albums, artwork display is always missing a lot of albums, difficulty with consistent sorting of albums within an artists. I mean, really? What year is it, again?

Quite frankly the BDP-1 was not even fit for purpose. Bryston should’ve been put out of business for releasing that shoddy thing they called a UI. In all my life I have never encountered a worse user experience.

I’ll say this much: the sound is stunning, output to my DAC via coax S/PDIF; made a believer out of me, with respect to doing better than what comes out of your laptop.

Yep, when it worked it did its job as a transport, just as well as a SBT.

Sure, if you say so.

Not dissing you, that was just my first hand experience with it on two pretty revealing systems in treated rooms. Having spent the money on it I wanted it to be better.

I agree with your comment on the UI. The sound is pretty good though. I’ve spent hours listening to it through Burmester pre, Constellation Power and MBL 101e Mk 2 speakers in a good room - not my system, alas. The sound was pretty much indistinguishable from the Burmester CD player, and vastly better than a Windows laptop using Roon. To have the sound of the Bryston with the UI of Roon would be great.

No serious system should be fed a signal directly from a regular PC.

When I tell other audio enthusiasts that, they respond with eye-rolling disbelief. The sound really is special when feeding a good DAC and blows away anything I can get out of my MacBook Retina.

I own a Bryston BDP-1 (first generation) and hope it can be used with Roon down the road sometime. Much of the problem with the BDP-1 is the wonky Manic Moose software. Liking Roon so far, and will research possible endpoint solutions.

Thank you Craig. After reading your post, I was able to get my BDP-1 to function with Roon, using the Squeezelite option. I will purchase a Roon Ready renderer, but with he BDP-1 functioning, I have a bit more time to work on which renderer solution I use. Again, thank you.

I am completely new to Roon, having just started a trial subscription. But I have had a BDP-1 since it was newly introduced. I can only say that it has been, because of the terrible user interface but the remarkable sound quality, the most frustrating audio component I have ever owned. The interface issues are compounded by a very large library. So I very fervently hope it can be used with Roon.

Well, according to Bryston, as of yesterday, “still a long way off” :unamused:

I was the one that asked the question yesterday on AudioCircle. My opinion: Bryston doesn’t believe their customer base cares about Roon.