Build 555 update issue(s)

So, a stock NUC8i7BEH in its stock chassis is supported, but in a passive-cooled fanless case it isn’t. Good to know.

A stripped-down appliance-like system like ROCK may work for many most of the time, but certainly not for everybody always. And if and when there is a problem, debugging is difficult. That’s why I decided against using ROCK, installing Roon server on Ubuntu, instead.

Of course, on a headless and fanless chassis, which in this case, so I understand, is considered as being supported.

well, Roon is supported and I’m still talking about @pl_svn – so I guess I’m trying to support it still :slight_smile:

yah, if this was ubuntu, I would have asked to run a temp check every second until something else bad happened and to share that log. Easy solution to the temp concern.

But I also would have asked about other software that may running in case it was interfering… while it is easier to debug on Ubuntu, there are also a million more things that can go wrong.

1. No: i do it manually when “Update available” pops out
  2. No

btw… as I wrote… there are too many instances of those blue-ish “Download/Install Update” slips (in “About Roon”): one for each machine (ROCK and the MBP I control Roon from), another “general one” at the bottom of the page and yet another, on top of the page, once the update has been dowladed :no_mouth:

Fair enough. I must say I am very happy with my setup. Don’t have problems with Tidal login, nor any other problems which would reduce my enjoyment of Roon.

Thank you.

4 Likes

try setting it to auto-download? it works like chrome… itll download + install automatically, and all you have to do is manually relaunch

if you were set the other way, id ask you to try it the other way.

no answers here, just looking for changes in behavior

ok, thank you Danny :slight_smile:

and let’s wait for next update

(but please… clean up the “blue-ish slips” mess :wink: )

EDIT: ehm… where do I set auto-updates? :cold_sweat: ok: found it :slight_smile:

ROCK + Roon have 2 distinct blue things since ROCK can only be installed by itself… I fixed this in the infrastructure a while ago, but the update system hasn’t been touched to accommodate that new ability. I think it’s on @mike’s list to fix.

Are you ever seeing blue popup when on the “about” page? @mike, if this happens, it’d go a long way to help reduce the number of repeated popups.

also, auto-installing should help reduce popups too as it will combine multiple popups into one.

1 Like

yes. plus they do not go away after clicking on them and new ones keep adding :no_mouth:

wait… new ones? i think I’m misunderstanding you. I read your message thinking that they “stack up” on top of each other, so dismissing one leaves another behind it.

However… there is only 1 blue popup… the code isn’t written in a way that can have them stack.

“About Roon” page:

there’s one “download/install” for each “machine” then a “Download/Install All” at the bottom and once downloads are done an “Install” (I believe) pops out at the top

the update all at the top is so you can trigger them all to update instead of having to click each one – if you just click that one, nothing should “pop up”

Foot in my my mouth? I am trying to get you to look at other areas. A reboot of a linux-based system does not strike as a time that causes huge processor loads. Sure, as you point out, Roon does things after the reboot than would certainly heat of up CPU and possibly stress a fanless case setup. But his system isn’t getting there. I am not saying that the problem is a bug in Roon. Maybe he has an SSD/HDD failing. I had a Linux system that would hang on reboots and I eventually tacked it down to failing HDD. I can’t recalls the details, but another time I had a problem because the bios settings were incorrect. lastly, a few years ago there was a problem with Linux that some systems had to put "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash acpi=force reboot=pci” in /etc/default/grub to fix it until the kernel was patched.

If he had a hardware cooling problem, why would it only manifest when it was time to reboot after an update? The cpu usage would go up after the reboot, not before it. If it were a cooling issue, he should have problem more often than when it is time to reboot after an update.

I am thinking maybe there is something that could be gleaned from debug logs, local or remote. Is it possible he has a corrupted install or something that survives updates and he needs to back up the database and installed fresh?

I don’t know the answer but pointing at the case is valid but the OP seemed to have observations that made that idea seem incorrect.

that’s the last one which pops out. it does only after dolwnloads are done (by clicking the general bottom one or the individual ones for each machine) :no_mouth:

bottom one is there all the time
Mac OS as control

Uncompressing the install raises CPU, but while this situation is on an update, his other cases are unknown – thus the request for auto-reboot schedule.

Anyway, this last post of yours is quite productive, because it actually explores ideas – but this is toxic crap:

Cut it out.

@pl_svn, @Speed_Racer inspires another idea: you can try hitting reinstall from the web UI… it shouldn’t destroy your database, but I’d make a backup first. That reinstall button will reformat the partition with the OS and the Roon app, and reinstall it completely. I think it’s unlikely, but maybe you got into some strange corrupt state on the app partition – the solution is trivial enough to warrant trying.

You should set them to auto-download and the experience will be much smoother. Try it out for the next update and go back afterwards if it’s not smooth.

1 Like

:+1:

tenchars

1 Like

One detail I did note which might explain what was experienced was that I noted ROCK did not restart after the last update although Roon Server software did. So my up time for ROCK was still over forty days after the b555 update.

A cold case might indicate poor heat transfer. Is it at all possible that the cpu thermal paste is applied wrongly, too thin, hard, gone off, whatever?

1 Like

I’ve seen photos of your setup. There’s very little way you could ever have any significant overheating of your processor in normal, or, maybe even advanced implementations (not that you do). You should be very happy with what you’ve got. You did an excellent job. It may not be technically supported (if it was a ROCK install, but yours is a Linux/Ubuntu setup).

I believe your system is actually a better cooling implementation than the Nucleus - not that the Nucleus, for its compactness and esthetic, is any slouch - it’s a great unit as well. But, if Roon created a commercially available hard case system for ROCK akin to what you’ve got, they would have to charge much more than what they charge for the Nucleus, and much more than you spent. I intend to do something similar with an actual ROCK core-server implementation when it becomes available from HDPlex, and it won’t be “technically” supported either.

My post may not have a lot to do with the original issues reported in this thread, but I think you got a very nice unit for a Roon core-server. You got no worries.

1 Like

ROCK does not restart for Roon updates
does a computer restart after an app update? :wink: