Building the perfect music experience with/around Roon

I still run Roon on my Late 2009 iMac 27" with a Core 2 Duo processor. I haven’t had a single problem in a year having it run 24/7. The speed and responsiveness is perhaps identical to my newer Retina Macbook Pros (i7 2012 and i7 2015). Although, if you want your library analyzed for volume levelling, than the better CPUs are definitely much better at this. However, for playback and some DSPing, there is practically no difference.

What is there to gain by switching to a NUC? Smaller footprint? Faster? I’m genuinely curious. My endpoints are networked and I won’t be pursuing direct USB connections anymore, so don’t have to worry about stuff like power supplies or USB cleaners for the computer.

Adding a ROCK/Nucleus allows for dedicated output and control. It acts independent of any computer and/or device. This makes functionality more stable and features more flexible. Better zone/room management. Better for multiple users. Better DSP and processing. Always on and ready.

… thanx guys - just ordered a Roon Nucleus :v:

1 Like

Hey Christoph,

I’m not sure if you ever described your current network topology, as you mention you are having problems with playback.

Is your iMac wired or wireless?
I assume your Aries is wireless?

Hi Brian & thanx - I ordered the Nucleus and I will compare running Nucleus straight to the DAC against running it to the Auralic and then the DAC… my local dealer/retailer actually recommends running the Nucleus straight to the DAC and abandoning the Auralic… but spending the Nucleus a USB Modul Audio Isolator like this https://www.cm-audio.net/afi-usb

Thanx for the input on the Network… I will talk this through with my electricity installation guy…

… hi Jeff - to be honest, I wouldn`t even know. I never planned to use it for streaming and for regular internet use it worked fine… as you all talked me into the streaming ober at Audioaficionados I now have to make new plans at the new home… :wink: No, seriously - looking forward to it… :+1:

But yes - I have everything running wireless - that’s probably the problem…

I think plugging the new nucleus directly into your router via ethernet should be a big step forward in solving your current problems.

If it doesn’t putting the nucleus at your audio equipment and pulling the aries out will fix things for the time being until you get your new home wired up.

1 Like

Congratulations! Please keep us posted on your adventure.

Yes, though I have had the NUC running for less than a week!

The NUC was somewhat “challenging” to get running, but now it is I am happy. But as I say, onbly a week so far.

My setup was almost identical to what you propose and the iMac seems (EM SEEMS) to have been a big part of the problem. I’m seeing fewer odd stops in the stream (like have to press play again to restart), and the issue of not finding the core after the screensaver starts, etc. etc.

I am moving into a new home and setting up a two channel for the frist time in years, with music to 2 offices, bedroom and a home theater. All (bar the theater) will have Roon running on RPi endpoints with various of IQaudio and HiFiBerry HATs.

My aim is to run Cat6 (that despite having a very good mesh AP newtork (EERO)), though this week (with NUC/ROCK) has been a significant improvement in listening experience.

Cheers