Bye Roon, why I am not renewing my subscription

For some it may be true, but from what I get here looks to me like the main coral with roon is the fact that is not even close to what it promises at the very moment of buying (Wowo > Meh, see the front page). Now, for that, I believe some is entitled to expect fixes and improvements, at least in some very basic areas as search, playlists and internet radio which are below pathetic at this moment and where any kind of development is long overdue.

It is true, but there will be no software industry if all that theyā€™ll sell is the product at the moment of buying. Due to the very nature of the software development, the users are expecting fixes and improvements by default (there is no such thing as a perfect software) and the software companies have to deliver them, otherwise theyā€™ll end with an irelevant product! Which is where roon is rapidly heading. But then again, it may be that a fancy, expensive and so so interface to a variety of streaming services may be very relevant for someā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s all very well to say, patronisingly, ā€œjust listen to the musicā€, but when the music you want to listen to is ā€œSerenade to Musicā€ and the crummy Roon search doesnā€™t readily find it (whereas Qobuz does), then, since I canā€™t actually ā€œjust listen to the musicā€ I want to listen to, it is perfectly reasonable to complain. Iā€™m not asking for something esoteric, obscure, gilding the lily, just basic competence. Iā€™ve not been a Roon user long enough for Stockholm syndrome to kick in, so Iā€™m not inclined to defend the indefensible.Thereā€™s loads of players that will ā€œjust play the musicā€.

2 Likes

Roon is lucky to have a community that provides this feedback, whether whiny, complaining, positive, whatever. I donā€™t imagine they would be better off not knowing where their usersā€™ heads are at.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Not that I donā€™t see it as a reasonable generality, but with Roon, IMHO itā€™s not the case. Roon launched with some absolutely fantastic, unique, cutting edge functionality that drove its adoption, but much of the non-cutting edge parts of Roon were meh to barely functional at that time.

Users adopted it on faith that these areas would be improved, and many, many have been improved. Roon is a much improved product over its launch. Itā€™s the areas that have not seen improvement that generate much of this commentary.

5 Likes

Hear Hear! (or is it Here! Here!) nice point; one of several

Why not end this thread before it gets even more embarrassing for most participants. If you donā€™t like Roon, stop using itā€¦

I like it, perfect or not.

4 Likes

@Per_Lundqvist

Please respect the right of paying customers of Roon to express legitimate opinions and concerns.

2 Likes

I am with Roon since June 2015. It got better with every release.
Each time I find notable improvements. Sure it is not perfect, but it is improving and without alternatives.
If you want some challenges try other available software. That might be a worthwhile entertainment for you.

2 Likes

2 years in all I want is for search to work properly again without all the lags its had since 1.6. I dont want to wait for a miniute to find the artist or album I want to play. It also wouldnā€™t be too much for or it to be a bit more intelligent in matching. One small typo and it just fails.

3 Likes

If you donā€™t like the thread, donā€™t read it.

1 Like

My goodness, the Trollā€™s are out in force for this thread.

I am really very curious to know what the problem is with pushing for mending broken stuff and making almost unusable stuff usable? Surely that makes a not-perfect-but-likable product into a better one? I meanā€¦ whatā€™s the harm in that, ehā€¦ehā€¦eh???

Funny how for the most part you Trolls come on, have a couple of snipes at those who are keen to see improvements, and then off you toddle, presumably to rile up another group or thread.

Thereā€™s simply no logical reason to your comments.

This attitudeā€¦ ā€œif you donā€™t like it donā€™t use itā€ ā€œi love it, so stop asking for stuffā€ ā€¦ i mean, really, seriously??? Most of us in this thread have said we like Roon and use it regularly if you could be bothered to read the thread before Trolling. We see ourselves as good customers, and want Roon to improve for everyone.

The whole Trolling thing is the embarrassment here, not those of us who wish to perpetuate +ve changes.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Weā€™ve had a few posts flagged in this topic ā€¦ all have been considered by @moderators ā€¦ some acted upon and some left as is.

As a group we are all very passionate about our hobby ā€¦ and we strive for the best we can attain ā€¦ that goes for hardware, our listening room and these days of course streaming / collection management software.

Now of course we are all individuals and with that we bring our aspirations of what we want from Roon ā€¦ and that drives our perceptions of Roon and what, if anything, needs fixing, enhancing or even a paradigm shift in the way Roon functions.

The discourse this pasion generates (the good, bad & the ugly) is really appreciated by the guys at Roon, as it helps them to make product design decisions and steer Roonā€™s path for the future.

Whatā€™s not constructive is bashing other users for sharing their opinion, Roon users should voice their opinion. That said ā€œbanging the drumā€ over and over about the same point (+ve or -ve) quickly becomes repetitive ā€¦ and does little to move the discussion on.

As always ā€¦ the usual advice applies, discuss the topic not the posters and try to stay constructive.

10 Likes

I think that everybody wants to see the software moving on, then the discussion will (probably) moveā€¦off :slight_smile: But there are so many things so much overdue, hence the drums.

2 Likes

I think you are way off.
My posting was never intended as trolling.
Just as a reminder [moderated] that Roon is moving on and you may find progress sooner than later.

There is this undertone of some posters uninviting people from using Roon as a response to their feedback. I do not view this as constructive.

Have you ever expressed a political opinion and had someone say ā€œif you donā€™t like this country, you can move?ā€ Kind of how that comes off.

7 Likes

I consider my first post marked as ā€œtrollingā€ to be completely unnecessary.
Was never meant to be.
I know the deficits of Roon quite well, as we all do.
Deficits in other software are way larger. I know that, because I use two other packages daily.
Roon makes steady progress, at least for me.
I have high expectancy for future releases.
Thatā€™s all.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for clarifying, but please understand itā€™s tiresome to constantly hear how we should put up or shut up. You donā€™t need to come into this thread to tells us to stop discussing stuff. Just donā€™t visit the thread.

I never told you to shut up or stop discussing anything.
Never would do that.
You donā€™t tell me which threads to visit or not.
Thatā€™s not your business.

Sorry if i came across a tad sharp there :slight_smile:

I do apologise.

Lets all move on in the spirit of improvement and love of music :heart_eyes::notes::musical_keyboard::violin:

3 Likes

thanks for clarifying.
Letā€™s move on.

4 Likes

Totally agrer