Can I connect Roon Nucleus directly to DAC, thus avoiding a streamer?

Patrick I was using the version from the Google Play store. I downloaded the VitOS image straight from the website and had no issues getting Roonbridge installed once I installed VitOS manager. It initially struggled to find the VitOS device but after closing the app and reopening it everything worked fine and it quickly installed Roonbridge

I have had to overwrite it at the moment but I will probably reinstall it over the weekend if I have time.

I was more concerned that I could not get into the pi as root or any other login which makes me nervous, but could just be them wanting to protect their trade secrets.

Regards

Mike

Hi @Patrick_Schlapfer I have re-installed VitOS from the original img file I downloaded a couple of weeks ago, on a 4GB Pi and no issue at all. Then the Android VitOS Manager app happily installed Roon Bridge in no time at all. Happily listening again now now and all working great.

If you want me to upload the specific file VitOS-1.0.823-20191225131935.img.zip that I am using then let me know and I will upload it so somewhere you can get it from

Regards

Mike

You can login via SSH. Username and password are both “root”

Thanks David I tried various combinations to login and failed. I eventually wiped VitOS out. I reinstalled it yesterday afternoon and will try logging in again. I might have been in a bit of a rush, but I don’t see this information on the website.

Regards

Mike

Yes…a friend of mine (@Neil_Small) discovered the login and shared it with me. The O/S is pretty bare. It’s based on Arch Linux ARM, so you can use the pacman tool to add missing packages. For example:

pacman -Sy
pacman -S htop alsa-utils vim

I don’t know that I would recommend updating all packages (with pacman -Syu) since that might roll-back some of the realtime kernel bits. Of course, if this completely trashes the O/S, you can always re-flash. :slight_smile:

Thanks David, from the memory of an old conversation, Arch Linux users bootsrap their builds using an Arch Linux that they build themselves (and so on). I have no plans to play with this device, it’s going to live in my study and just be used with the headphone amp. I am happy with it just staying completely vanilla as I have enough other gadgets to play with.

I am waiting for another Flirc case (remove any need for a fan) and another iFi power supply to arrive and then I will look to purchase one of the iFi Silencer+ devices or the iFi purifier 3

But thanks for your continued advice on these forums.

Regards

Mike

1 Like

I am just about to audition - on the last shopping day before lockdown - a Bartok for exactly this setup. All my serious listening is through headphones. My LCD-4s are packed and ready. Feel like a child on Christmas Eve.

I connected my Nucleus directly to a Matrix Audio, Pro Sabre MQA DAC, by an Audioquest USB cable. It worked perfectly.
However, this setup did not do justice to my Naim amplification (282/300DR) and my Kudos Titan 606’s.

I then demoed a dCS Network Bridge to the DAC. It was like ‘night and day’! Fantastic :+1:

Finally, I binned the Matrix DAC, and purchased a dCS Bartók (Streaming DAC). Absolutely brilliant!

4 Likes

You do realise that the MA Pro Sabre DAC is probably the most transparent and best measuring DAC in the world? It is currently at the pinnacle of state of the art…

1 Like

Yet is not even in my top 5 of best sounding DACs I have listened to…

2 Likes

And the PS Audio DirectStream is one of the worst measuring DACs in the world. It can’t even resolve Red Book (16 bit). Transparent it is not. But then high-end audio is very often about flavour of presentation over accuracy and transparency.

Hi Graeme

Yes, the Matrix DAC is very good, but nowhere near the dCS products.

Believe it or not, the biggest issue I had with the Matrix DAC, is updating the software. It is a two part process, a total ball ache and requires a Windows computer. I am a Mac user, so are my friends and family.

In the year that I had the DAC, there were three software updates. I managed to do one of them by using the free trial of ‘Parallels’ for Mac. I did not want to have to purchase Parallels or a cheap laptop.
Matrix Customer Service was zero, and they would never answer my question re issuing a Mac version of the software.

3 Likes

I am always wary of devices that rely on just one way to manage them. Reason I will never buy Aurilac product, no cross platform control no purchase.

1 Like

I agree Simon. I don’t have a Macbook, but they’re probably the best selling laptop in the world! Why wouldn’t a company allow their software to be updated by an Apple product?

My dCS Bartók just updates via the iOS app on my iPad. Job done.

1 Like

Mac’s make up between between 8% and 14% market share depending on what you read (even if mostly well off customers).
While I use Mac, I used to struggl to get updated software for certain things. Changing now more, but it’s still a small market share.

Always been thankful that I have access to multiple device’s which not everyone does

Mike

2 Likes

You can run Windows on a Mac, but I appreciate you wanted a straight forward way to update the firmware which the manufacturer wasn’t giving you.

By whose measurement standards? Amir’s? I don’t care what Amir measures or thinks those measurements mean.

It is a mistake to think that measurements are all that matter. All one has to do is look at amplifiers to understand that.

2 Likes

I don’t connect my Roon ROCK fanless server (not Nucleus) direct to DAC, I use an SOtM SMS-200 Neo network player (with 9v Linear Power Supply) to connect to the USB input of my Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 integrated amp. Both the Roon server and the SOtM streamer are connected to my router with separate ethernet cables.
Got to say I find this setup the best I have ever experienced for sound quality, and a marked improvement from when I previously connected directly from Roon server to USB input of Lyngdorf amp.
Recently I also experimented with Roon DSP settings which I had only flirted with before, and I think there are subtle improvements there too. Never say never, but I think and hope this will be my settled system for a good while to come.

One thing I have noticed though is that when listening to an album that sometimes the loudness of a track can increase by what seems about 25% without me increasing the volume. This is pretty rare though, perhaps once or twice a day, sometimes not at all.
Could it be something to do with DSP settings?

4 Likes

Graeme…I tried that, but because my iMac is mid 2011, I couldn’t use Boot Camp with Windows.
Anyway…onwards and upwards. I’ve sold the Matrix DAC and am now a dCS Bartók owner. dCS are in Cambridgeshire (60 miles from me) with first class customer support. Infact, the MD has invited me to their factory in Swavesey, once the pandemic is over. :grinning:

1 Like

It doesn’t matter whose measurement standards you use, it doesn’t measure well. Subjectively you like it. For the cost, it wouldn’t be my choice.

Measurements are important though, especially for amplifiers - as a minimum a competent design should achieve a flat frequency response, low distortion and a low output impedance. Whether it can deliver enough current into a particular load also matters. How else are you going to know if it’ll play nice with a particular speaker? Plug it in and hope for the best?