Can I use an Mac mini as a core?

My Roon core is a Mini. I’m using an M1 Mini now, but before I upgraded I was using a 2012 Mini without a problem. If you’re using it as a Roon Core only, it works fine. Roon doesn’t require all that much computing power. As far as managing it without a monitor, that’s a little more involved. I screen share with an iMac. and use the remote app on either my phone or tablet. I have the Mini in my AV rack, so I can use my TV as a monitor, but I don’t necessarily want my TV on all the time when I’m listing to music. It is handy sometimes to do that, like when I restart the computer after an update, or something like that. Generally, the Mini is silently on, 24/7, for months at a time, without the need to mess with it. It all works, but can be confusing as per what you have available for periferals.

2 Likes

Do not get 8G of memory with the new m1 macs. If you run power hungry apps you will start paging/swapping and will wear out the ssd. There are many known issues about this. Also, you can’t add more memory so max it out when you buy it. The m1 macs are some of the fastest computers made so they will be able to handle multiple apps now and in the future so you don’t want to go cheap on memory