Can ROON support folder browsing. [not on roadmap]

The name is but one property, so that won’t help. Explorer lets you edit tags for certain files, including FLAC, but for more complex editing, a tag editor and some automation would be better, as @Suedkiez said.

Oh, now I feel stupid :slight_smile: Never have that pass thru my head. Thanks

1 Like

Agree on a task-specific tag editor. I’m a fan of mp3tag (and yes, this is an unfortunate historical name, as it handles almost any codec, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, mp3, m4a, opus, etc). It is also quite powerful and one can automate extracting information from file names and folder names to complete metadata tags.

3 Likes

+1 for Mp3tag, it’s excellent software

Where I can find tag editer ?

o google search and you will get a list of them

I wouldn’t hold your breath.

There are 2 issues that Roon are ABSOLUTELY adamant on

1. DNLA Support
  2. Folder Browsing

Its been said so many times that Neither will ever happen

I am surprised this thread is still running as futile as it is.

There are many ways to skin the Roon Cat :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Try Google ?

There is also TagScanner a freebie as well , but MP3Tag seems to get the vote here

I use JRiver Media Centre because I already have it managing my video needs

And if you’re on a Mac, I’d recommend Yate. It’s full featured, has integrations with Discogs and Musicbrainz, and the dev is a really nice guy who typically responds very quickly if you need assistance.

1 Like

I think you can add a 3rd one to this.

1. Internet Required.

–MD

Yes I guess you’re right .I would say that is a teeny weeny bit negotiable compared with1 & 2 :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

You’re keeping the hope alive I see.

–MD

My internet is sound , its my power that’s not , we are getting 3 x 2.5 hr power cuts EVERY day at present, (Google Eskom), but no power , no internet ,no Roon but you can’ listen anyway as No Power

I am thankful for my Core 256 Gb SD card , USBPP and a good pair of BT headphones

Holy cow. Where do you live? I don’t suppose a power wall is an option? That’s 1/3 of the day such no power. Sounds hard to keep the fridge running, let alone worry about music.

South Africa, it’s politely called Load Shedding , it’s just particularly bad at present. Essentially the power generation kit is ageing and under maintained for many years past and just breaks.

So as not to get “moderated” for political comment , Google Eskom , or State Capture the news has been full of it for years.

Fridges are a problem, we minimise frozen food just in case, the outages are spread so fridges etc catch up

Messes up listening , internet connections, when the power goes the cell towers go down because the favourite sport is pinching UPS cables and batteries , also Telkom exchanges, so all comms are shot too

I could go on :smiling_imp:

UPnP support is operational with 3rd party products. I use them 100% with my Naim NDS Network player.

I also maintain a clear and clean directory structure for my Music Library, however I don’t want this exposed as my search & discovery mode to finding music. I have this capability with Asset UPnP via the Naim App and don’t use it (have never used or wanted to).
However if I need to trace back to a folder within the structure, this is possible within Roon, at a track level - just click the ‘File Info’ and there is File Path displayed.

e.g.

The history is helpful re Danny’s (hence Roon’s) previous strong rejection of the idea and it is very possibly still indicative of the likely outcome but I would suggest that one thing has changed since then namely the furore re the requirement in Roon 2.0 for an internet connection even to play local files. As I understand it that is because Roon feels it necessary to now host certain functionality remotely in order to continue to progress the product capabilities particularly for search. Introducing folder browsing, as well as meeting the needs of people here who want it anyway (and I am not one of those people incidentally), could potentially also provide a fallback mechanism in the event of a loss of internet connectivity to allow 2.0 users to still access their local content thus killing 2 birds with one stone.

This particular horse died long ago, and I suspect there is zero probability of it being resurrected for any reason whatsoever…

Funny how no one ever talks about how the pleasure which one takes in beating a dead horse is often proportional to the square of the amount of time by which the horse predeceased the commencement of the beating. I know it is for me.

6 Likes

That is almost certainly South Africa which as it happens is where I am visiting at the moment. They call this “load shedding” and it has been going on for so long that they have it down to a fine art. Unless it gets very extreme they avoid those 2.5 hour blocks being adjacent to each other so at most the power is off for a single continuous 2.5 block which is enough for a decent fridge/freezer’s insulation to stop the temperature getting too high inside it. It is still a very bad state of affairs though when one has to plan for multiple 2.5 hour power supply interruptions in a single day. Detailed schedules are published as to which 2.5 time slots will be subject to a power cut on any given day depending on what area (down to the suburb level) one lives in and at what level of severity load shedding is at for that day.