Can the microRendu be directly connected to the ROCK server through the Ethernet cable?

Brilliant! Good to know and thanks. It appears that the lack of static IP configuration on rendu’s site is the only blocker.

How do you IP forward with ROCK?

Is it only for ROCK in NUC or for ROCK in any computer with two or more ethernet (network) controllers?

IP forwarding is on by default.

I turned on ip forwarding for any interfaces. Note that although I can not support ROCK on non-NUC, if you can get ROCK running there, the forwarding will just work and has nothing to do with hardware.

OK. I have installed ROCK on PC: Gigabyte GA-1037UN-EU with two ethernet ports and PCI ethernet card TP-Link TF3239DL, 4GB RAM, SSD 32GB for OS, two SSDs for libraries (2TB and 1TB). All successfully working if I connect patch cord from internet router to one ethernet port and patch cord from my music PC with RoonBridge to another ethernet port. :slight_smile:

(strange ip address 169.254.197.82 but working :wink: )
But there are no networked devices if I connect patch cord from my music PC to ethernet port of PCI ethernet card TP-Link :frowning:

Does this mean that there are no drivers for this card in ROCK or something else?
And is it possible to support both SSDs for libraries (currently only one 2TB SSD is supported)?

No, it means you unplugged the cable from the port where your setup was working; try plugging it back into the original port.

That’s right! But I need that TP-Link PCI network adapter TF3239DL work in ROCK and I can use it for connection to my streamer (Vistamultimedia as shown on screenshot of settings).
While this TP-Link does not work with the cable from the router to connect ROCK to the Internet, or with the cable from streamer to output the stream to it. :frowning:
Also there are only two onboard ethernet controlers (eth and eth2 as in BIOS) on web configurating page of ROCK (in my case - http://192.168.1.12). TP-Link is absent.

Try disabling one of the two Ethernet Ports on the Gigabyte board and see if the TP-Link shows up. That will tell you if ROCK OS has the drivers to see/enable the TP-Link card. It might be that ROCK only allows for 2 ethernet ports or that ROCK does not have the drivers in the OS for that card.

The OS Drive in ROCK is only an OS drive and cannot be used as accessible storage. That is why it is suggested to use the smallest SSD for the ROCK OS drive. As far as I know, this will not change.

OK. I’l try.
I like ROCK. It is a pity that ROCK supports only NUC - one SATA for drive, onboard LAN controllers, impossibility to add an internal sata disk without formating.
I would like such OS but for any computer .

What you want to accomplish should be done by installing and configuring Linux yourself, followed by the installation of the Linux package of Roon Server.

Yes, the fact of the matter is that ROCK is attractive because it does not require knowledge of Linux from the user!
Thanks for support.

Roon works because of its intimate relationship with the NUC hardware. Broaden it out to work with more boards and it would be bigger, more complex to install and to use and it would behave much less like the appliance most of us want.

I’m sure ROCK includes the necessary drivers, as they’re typically part of the Linux kernel, and TP-Link adapters are quite popular.

But as ROCK doesn’t expect your TP-Link adapter to be there in the first place, it’s left it completely unconfigured.

@Sergey_Ivanov: what does your tplink present itself as? an ethernet card? if so, it probably is missing the driver.

@Adam_Woodbridge: we do support multiple interfaces, but we don’t ship all the drivers nor do we ship all the firmwares.

That makes sense as your system only needs support for the on-board Intel LAN chipset.

yup… we actually ship a few others as well, because I wanted to support popular USB adapters too. I went and bought a few of the most popular out there and added support.

1 Like

I think Sergey’s quest will meet a dead-end if a static IP can’t be assigned to the microRendu in order to create a point-to-point subnet between it and the NUC.

It is obvious that this is the case. LAN controller: realtek RTL8139D.

Does the nature of the posts on this subject remind you of the posts lauding the benefits of $500 cable? :laughing: