Can you set Roon to playback in mono

That’s what I do. Have it for my homebuilt Roon Ready wireless speaker .

Quite right of course. :blush: I’m sure my little workaround was a revelation to no-one but me. A button, simple toggle or DSP-per-album would be an even more elegant solution to this - but I’m guessing for most people it’s a pretty left field (or phantom centre field perhaps :rofl:) use case.

1 Like

New to Roon here. After I get up to speed with the DSP Engine I anticipate using a “mono” preset on occasion, for streaming old classic jazz ensemble mono releases that may have overlooked “stereo” clicks and pops from an LP master. A per album-selected preset would be useful for this.

1 Like

There’s a way in “Procedural EQ” in DSP to set Roon to play in mono. Do a search for it here. Once it is setup, you just click on it each time you want to engage or disengage mono playback.

Yes, but it would be great to be able to associate a DSP preset with one or more albums so that whenever tracks from them play, the preset is activated automatically.

1 Like

Is there any chance of a simple mono/stereo switch for each zone in Roon. I am doing a multiroom install and the ‘Procedural EQ’ settings are a very long distance from intuitive!

No need for intuitive, I followed guidance.
Only mixing rules are enabled, four of them.
I saved this as a DSP Preset called “Mono” and one called “Stereo” with the rules disabled so I can switch.

2 Likes

No need? Intuitive operation is not a bad thing, needless complexity puts off less technical users (this includes me!) and this is by any standard a counter intuitive and fiddly way to achieve something my old system permitted with one button press.
Progress indeed…

Deleted, was to stupid to look at solution first.

Okay, but you only have to set it up once.
And you don’t have to be “technical” - you simply have to blindly follow the example above and setup the same thing in your Roon setup. It’s a stretch to call it complex. Once it’s setup it’s one click.

I understand it isn’t what you want, but it isn’t that big a deal. You are writing as if you were asked to write lines of code or something. No one is asking for anything like that.

Yes, apologies if i am labouring the point. However 90% of the population would struggle to implement mono playback without searching internet forums and such like. Clearly this is possible but its also clunky, fiddly and hard to find without seeking help.
Surely a simple button for each zone toggling mono/stereo would be simpler?
Bluesound provide this for example.
I have a lifetime sub and in the long run my hope is Roon becomes an essential tool for music lovers to access their music and if its not easy to use for average folk that wont happen.

I’d say 99% of users don’t want to set to mono. I am happy to listen to Mono albums in their natural format but that’s as far as it goes.

I believe mono zones are actually a pretty common use case, at least for “non-primary/critical listening” zones. E.g., ceiling speakers throughout the house, bathroom speakers, outdoor patio/backyard, etc. All places there directionality is lost, and setting the speakers to mono actually improves the listening experience.

3 Likes

I think that is true. It would probably be helpful to add some simple directions to the KB on how to create a mono preset that could be readily applied to zones such as ceiling speakers. I’ll see what I can knock up and submit it for approval. @AndersVinberg has already given me a start…

3 Likes

That use case has never occurred to me, so you learn daily…

I’ve expanded the KB article using creating a mono preset as an example.

6 Likes

Thank you, now makes the instructions easier to find. When you read the KB article it does underline how involved the operation is in Roon, although i guess its something one would not change once set up for multizone audio (which is my use) so thats not too bad. Hopefully one day a mono/stereo switch can be added to each zone, although its an extra control at least its obvious what it does.

You create the DSP preset one time only, and then it can be quickly applied to the Zones that you want. I very much doubt whether we will ever see a mono/stereo switch implemented by Roon Labs. I suspect that they have bigger fish to fry.

Good write up, thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for this.

Since the waveforms are mixed in the amplitude domain (not power domain), then the gain should be set to -6 dB in all four mixing rules. You can verify this by listening to a mono track and toggling the procedural eq on/off - the levels don’t change when you set the gain to -6 dB.