CD playback please!

I have a ton of CDs that I want to use on my main Roon core computer.

I don’t want to rip. I love CDs

Please add CD capability,…

@Bozon
You should try this Roon extension: Roon Extension: CD Player v0.2.0

1 Like

That’s a ripper - not what the OP was asking for. His/her request was similar to this or this Feature Request.

Just get a pre amp and use a CD player on one input and Roon on another. I’m not sure how Roon can help here as ripping and storing the library digitally seems to be what it’s designed for.
Quick access to all your music.
To access the data on your CD, Roon would need to analyse it which means you may as well rip it.
Confused as to what you are asking here.

2 Likes

Sorry Geoff your wrong. Read the link. The dev has both a ripper and a player extension.

2 Likes

Ooh - so I am! - Not unknown, I’m afraid. It started out as just a ripper, but @Jan_Koudijs has taken it into a new dimension… Kudos!

3 Likes

I saw that extension but it is made for docker on linux platform. My Roon core is a Windows 10 machine.

@Bozon
I’m not a Windows user, but I think you should be able to install it, as long as Docker is installed on your system.
Maybe @Jan_Koudijs can give you more information.

It is indeed Docker for Linux only. Although it is possible to run Linux images on Docker for Windows the issue is in the virtual networking that is used under Windows which doesn’t work in combination with the Roon networking.

Why not get a good CD transport to do this.
I have a Meridian 200 CDT if I feel the need to spin a CD.

1 Like

Because I use convolution filter and DSD as output format from Roon. And that makes a significant SQ improvement.

A Raspberry Pi of nearly any vintage will run Docker and the Extension, along with an inexpensive USB CD player you probably already have…

For fun I made up a wireless setup DIY: Roon CD Player/Ripper

I rip all my CDs but wanted to try it out and it works great. SQ isn’t as good as playing rips directly but it works and I’ll use it from time to time. I too use convolver…

Follow Jan’s how-to, there really isn’t much to it

I just documented how to do this on a Windows machine.