Classical music tags inconsistencies

Thanks Mike
I absolutely agree with the approach you are taking. Problems need to be fixed at the source. Not much use fixing individuals symptoms (individual metadata errors), if there is a structural problem (i.e. with the database structure).
Over the last few weeks I have cleaned up the tags of my library, so that Roon can identify as many albums as possible. Cleaning up my own source data has also enabled me to find other errors, such as missing tracks.
Despite the errors I am finding in Roon’s tags, I am over the top that something like Roon exists. It has the potential to become what no one else has achieved in the past - an information platform for music enthusiasts that offers a structured map of the universe of performed music.
In my view there are two preconditions to make something like Roon work in the long term:

• a well thought out object oriented database structure that reflects the information structure users think in. I do not believe this structure is very different for Jazz, Pop or Classical. the elements are the same. ID3 tags have not been able to offer a map to this universe. Roon has a chance to solve the riddle. BTW, users in the US and in Europe look at the database objects in a slightly different way. US tend to sort names by first name, Europeans by last name).
  • Secondly, there needs to be a way to deal with legacy within this data structure. Roon will never be able to catalogue all the music in the universe. I am dealing with Furtwängler at the moment. There are umpteen editions of the recording from different labels that I would like to be able to link to the same metadata node, even if Roon does not have the particular edition (e,g, the excellent remasters by Eduardo Chibas) in its database. I have made a suggestion how this could be achieved here.
    THANKS a million for the great work!
1 Like