Comparison of PCM and MQA

How more biased can it become when the admin of the “MQA development and reviews” facebook page is entering this discussion? The same admin that has very close contact with Bob Stuart who even is a member on that facebook page. They even personally met. lol

I didn’t, what makes you think I did?

[Moderated]

16/44 mqa is the most ridiculous format, there’s nothing to fold. The ony thing that happens is that 16bits are compressed into 15bits, because they want to light up a green led and show a sample rate on the dac display, and 1 bit is needed for that. Not a single 16bit mqa has a studio dot, and the reason is obvious, they sound worse then redbooks.

I prefer the original unmangled 16/44 PCM where I still have the choice to select linear filters, which outperform the minimizing filters mqa uses.

We know how mqa is doing tests for the public:
They play a 16/44 cd against a 24/96 mqa. No wonder it should sound better then, since a 24/96mqa, coming in a 24/48 flac, is still about 2.5x the size of a 16/44 redbook. Probably they also used a linear fast filter for the redbook, keeping all the pre and post ringing, to make the mqa sound even better. They should have compared it with the original 24/96 masters and using the same kind of filters, but then mqa would sound worse.

My jaw dropped as well, when I read how they make tests invalid so Mqa comes out as a winner.

If you mean the removal of preringing, all minimizing filters can do that.
If you mean less harshness, all slow filters can do that.
Minimizing filters are non linear and actually create blur. It’s a property of such filters that makes lower sounds come first, creating a unnatural punchier bass.

Yep the result of using a minimizing filter.

I did, the PCM is way crisper and detailed. The mqa sounds damped.
I don’t know but I think you compared mqa with mp3 in your findings.

Look, Peter, he’s thinking the same.

So you admit mqa is supposed to sound worse then CD, unless you pay extra for it?

Yes on Tidal you’ll never find the original PCMs, because MQA ltd is affraid people should start comparing mqa with the original pcms and start prefering the PCMs and notice it’s all a scam.

True, there is no proof whatsoever there are more unfolds.
And then you should take a look at mqa-cd which is by definition 16bit. There everything is folded into 3 bits i.s.o. 7 bits making it even lossier then regular 24bit mqa. And the remaining 16/44 has to become 13/44 to make room for those 3 bits. MQA-CD sounds VERY bad if you don’t buy an mqa decoder. And if you do buy one, don’t expect to reach the sound quality of an orginal 16/44. Mqa-cd is showing it’s all about the money.

They are all lossy. The originals are always better. (Especially true for 16bit mqas, those are horrible)

A good summary Danny2 ! :+1: :+1: :+1:

7 Likes