Computer Noise - Affect on Audio Quality

and they’re credible, right?

(to this this post offended, care to explain what it is that’s offensive?)

The only audible electrical interference I’ve ever experienced in a setup involving a music server connected to a device like a SB Touch or Wandboard or Raspberry Pi in turn connected to a DAC is static pops and clicks occurring during playback in winter (our winter climate is very dry), which was solved by adding a ferrite head to the DAC end of the USB cable.

The connection between audio and religion seems to get stronger and stronger.In science nothing is true until proved to be true and judged by peer review, in religion and audio one has to believe that it is happening even if science seems to prove that it doesn’t.

2 Likes

We’re talking (well, I am) about a specific scenario raised in this thread. But don’t let me keep you from your rant.

When people listen and can consistently tell the difference in a blind test, I call that credible. If you don’t want to accept it, that is your right, but I bet there is no scenario that can be reasonably done at home that you would accept,right?

I totally believe in science. But armchair scientists constantly talk about “scientific proof”, “peer review”, and “double blind testing” when they don’t have a clue about how any of those actually work and when something like a DBT is or isn’t a proper testing methodology. Are you an actual scientist? If not, I’d put you firmly in the “armchair” camp.

There’s extremely little good scientific testing of audiophile claims. And that includes many “scientific proofs” often trotted out. Many of these tests have large holes in them that make them of little use as proof. Actual quality testing takes time and money, and there aren’t many scientists with either the time, money, or interest to test claims in the field of audio.

Why is it things barely related to Roon cause most controversy on the Roon forums? ;);):wink:

1 Like

@anon55914447, @danny2, @evand, @NickB

The mods have received a string of flag notifications re that last few posts in this topic are not abiding by the forum rules.
I’ve read all the flagged posts, it’s an interesting debate but at times is drifting towards unconstructive “ranting”.
It’s fine that people can express their differing opinions but please, please, please, do abide by the forum guide lines otherwise we will be forced to intervene.

Regards,
Carl (forum moderator)

1 Like