Confused with the Valence / TIDAL

Really? This seems to only be true for New Releases and nothing else. I swear I’ve seen statements from Roon that the Roon Radio function doesn’t consider any personal input at all – it’s merely an algorithm on the server side that considers the thumbs-up/down of all members in aggregate. Favorites are for your convenience only and are not used for any algorithmic purposes.

For comparison, other services like Pandora use thumbs-up/down to personalize the radio for you in real-time. Thumbs down Bob Dylan? You’ll get less Bob Dylan in the queue. Roon Radio does not do that… it serves up the same thing over and over again no matter what individual actions you take. Thumbs up/down, favorites, having related albums in your collection… all seem to be meaningless.

For instance, I have over 700 albums that are classified as Indie Rock in my personal hardcopy collection. Yet if I play Roon Radio from the Indie Rock genre, 95% of what it spits out doesn’t reflect the artists or albums that are in my collection at all. It’s amazing that Roon can classify things so perfectly in my library, yet at the same time the genre Radio algorithm seems to be completely ignorant about it. I have some data in a recent thread.

1 Like