Considering Roon But I'm Confused? Please Help

Yes. Luckily, iPads were never as good or as cheap as they are now. The basic 2018 iPad is a beast of a machine and a steal at $329.

Thanks. I guess I got to go to the Apple store. What size iPad is the sweet spot to run the Roon app? Call me crazy but I want to delete every application I can on the new iPad and run the Roon app only. I want it to be a glorified controller only. I will do my computing elsewhere.

in that case a basic new ipad (not mini or pro) is fine. I use an older iPad Air2 and it works perfectly and size is right.

p.s. Off topic, but my older ipad and old iphones, even though not updated, are great for use as cameras in a “free” home security camera system. See:

1 Like

The one I mentioned above is 9.7” and fine for running Roon Remote.

The 10.5” iPad Pro is a great tablet, but offers no advantages running Roon. If money and size are no object, have a look at the 12.9” Pro. The extra screen real estate is very nice when using Roon – and it is as of now the only iPad that can run Roon Remote in Portrait.

1 Like

They may give you a trade in allowance for your old one (depending on device age). I traded in an Ipad Air for the new iPad and got $150 credit toward the new one…

1 Like

But a refurbished iPad 12.9" is $600! Hmm, I will call Apple to see if I can get credit for my old one. Is the 12.9" really that much better than the 9.7" if I want it to run the Roon app only?

I just called Apple. My 2012 is worth a whopping… $70! : )

Seriously consider Magneplanar MMG from Magnepan direct by mail order. These dipole radiators need to be out in the room but they are natural in the midrange, have a wonderful image, and stop people in their tracks. About $650 a pair delivered. I’m not up on current mini-monitors but KEF, Spendor, Thiel, or if you are crazy, Danley Sound Labs (pro audio, the small SM series ones). are good choices

Re iPad sizes
I have a mini, 9.7 and 12.9 pro. Truth be told I like the mini. Why, portability. The 12.9 is too heavy to hold in one hand for long. Screen is unbelievable, especially for things like Google Earth. But you need a holder of sorts. other wise 9.7 is just fine for Roon. But my mini in its cover case goes easy from room to room.
Just my experience.

I just use a decent case on my large pro and it sits on my lap easily. Perfect for Roon and most other things…

This is very helpful. Plus I will be leaving the iPad in the common areas so my roommate can use Roon. I will have 2 apps on it only: Roon & Bluesound. The Bluesound app will be used to control my speakers when I’m using the Oppo 203.

I’m pretty sure David is not interested in a component system. And, he mentioned being in a very small apartment, which is not ideal for Maggie’s. But, yeah, those MMGs are wonderful for the money. :grin:

Are the Magnelanar’s RAAT Roon endpoints?

No, that will elicit some chuckles.

http://www.magnepan.com/www/images/speakers/MMG_03.jpg

AJ

I didn’t think so but, hey, I’ve been out of loop for so long, I thought maybeee… At least I didn’t ask if Quad ESL 63’s were Roon Ready. : )

Gary_Sabath1d
Well here are 3 good authorized dealer options. They all have free shipping and 60 days return policy.

http://www.audioadvisor.com
https://www.musicdirect.com

I think the only one that states they do not collect sales tax when going to NY is World Wide Stereo; authorized dealer, free shipping, 60 day return

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/pages/sales-tax-policy

Thank you, Gary, for the info about reputable dealers for Bluesound speakers. Knowing that my SonicTransporter is in the mail, yesterday I went to the Apple store and got a 9.7 inch iPad. I finally got a deal.

Folks, just in case you didn’t know. I traded in my 2010 iPad and my old iPhone SE at the Apple store and got a $180 gift card to purchase the new iPad. With taxes and with the extended Apple Care warranty I paid $245 for the new iPad. I’m thrilled with this price. I also configured the new iPad with just the Roon and Bluesound apps. I want the iPad to be a music controller only.

Also, I kicked into gear today and connected my OPPO UDP-203 CD player to my TV and existing speakers. Since the OPPO is in my bedroom I was afraid I would not be able to turn off the lights on the front panel but there is this option. A tiny dim blue light stays on but this will not be a distraction.

I also just purchased 2 x Bluesound Pulse 2 speakers from World Wide Stereo. Thank you so much for the suggestion. The customer service was outstanding. No taxes. A 60 day return policy. Free shipping. Also, I can buy an extended warranty up to a year after my purchase.

Honestly, thank you everyone for your help so far. I know at the beginning I just did not get it. Some of you were impatient with me but some other people went the extra mile. I am grateful.

3 Likes

You might want the OPPO media control app on the iPad too. Glad you are up and running with more in the mail.

Hmmmm. Do you have a computer that can run Roon? You could do that and buy a Roon compatible speaker. I like the ELAC Z3 Discovery speaker and use one in my bedroom and one in my kitchen to get multi room playback with the living room stereo in my small NYC apartment. The ELAC Z3 is $500. I think it sounds really good for its size.

How would I benefit by having the OPPO app on my iPad? Also, because OPPO is shutting down there won’t be software updates in the future?

You can control the OPPO transport as if you had the actual iR remote and it supports some local media functions too for connected drives and or remote libraries via DLNA. Most OPPO functions tho might need a tv attached, for other than simple play stop pause related buttons.

It’s free to try anyway and you can always remove it if you never use it.

Thank you. Yes, I will try the OPPO app. It’s attached to my T.V.