Cost effective Roon endpoints

I was a little extreme previously. Hans has been in the business for quite a while – according to his website, he started as a stereo equipment salesman and got into writing and eventually his vodcasts, presumably as stereo equipment stores began to close and jobs as equipment salesman became harder to find. So if you’re interested in the business of both high-end and mass-market audio, I suspect he knows a lot. About the companies and products and market. About technology and especially digital technology, though – well, I’ve seen little to no evidence of that in the admittedly small number of his videos I’ve watched.

2 Likes

Can always go this route and add the Allo digi one later if you find you need it also. Thanks for the info. Is it worth spending a bit more for extra memory in the Raspberry Pi? Also how is the update process when a new version comes out of Ropiee?

You don’t need more memory. I don’t know about updates. Some may be automatic and some may required a new download and burn (Etcher) to the SD card. IDK. If you think you might want to add a HAT later, you might want a different case. I like the Flirc because of it’s heat sink properties. It’s only $16 so you could throw it out if need be.

2 Likes

Updates are automatic.

2 Likes

@Bill_Janssen are you running Ropieee?

I don’t know where these rumours are coming from? I have had Bluesounds since my first Node some 5-6 years ago and they have yet to fail me in any manner. Since i adopted the Roon way (2016) i have had a Soundbar and at first one Vault. I quite recently bought another Vault, as they are the best sounding units to my ears.
It is the best functioning streaming unit i have lived with for any length. Alla input switching and source selection is fully transparent and flawless, whether youre doing Spotify Connect or Radio Paradise and then switching to the BluOS library or sending a Roon Ready stream through it.
I am listening right now and have serious doubts whether theres any real value in my Auralic Aries G1/Chord Hugo TT sitting next to it?
(I am listening to the analog outputs on the Vault at the moment, but it’s optical is connected to the Hugo also if i feel like a different flavour…)

Edit: i bought both of my Vaults second hand, at under $200 each…

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Some of the recommended RPi builds had “HATs” to separate out some stuff and isolate noise. Not seeing that on this build. Is it a good idea to put a “HAT” on this one?

I don’t know, but if you do, you’ll need a different case. You could always add that later if need be.

2 Likes

Are you running any of the newer stuff like the node 2i? Everything I have read in this community is about the 2i.

Nope, i have had a Node 2 and tried a Vault 2. My newest BluItem is the Soundbar.
Sorry! But they all share the same software, so should function in a similar manner, regarding sources and such.

Several months ago I bought a Node 2i and kept it a couple hours before returning it. I didn’t like using optical which was my only choice with my system.

I think the auralic aries mini is hard to beat as a cost effective roon endpoint. Yes there are cheaper options, but it’s a decent bit of kit…flexibility of use is great to, does all the hi Res formats etc. If you can pick up a 2nd hand one somewhere I think you’d be hard pushed to find something better sounding / spec’ed for the money.

3 Likes